• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FYI: Toyo Open Country tires

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Just an FYI: They are super back ordered. If you're a fan like me you won't be seeing them in the U.S. for a while. I just got off the phone with Toyo. Apparently because of the Obama administrations 37% tax hike on imported products made in China and Japan, Toyo is moving its production plants to the U.S. That is a good thing. American workers need the jobs. But that also means that the popular sizes are a long way away from coming through the pipeline as they are very back ordered. Ironically Toyo is a California based company which is where corporate offices are. Who knew? Should they be welcomed home or scourged for taking production elsewhere? Back to my tire research.

Just an FYI: They are super back ordered. If you're a fan like me you won't be seeing them in the U.S. for a while. I just got off the phone with Toyo. Apparently because of the Obama administrations 37% tax hike on imported products made in China and Japan, Toyo is moving its production plants to the U.S. That is a good thing. American workers need the jobs. But that also means that the popular sizes are a long way away from coming through the pipeline as they are very back ordered. Ironically Toyo is a California based company which is where corporate offices are. Who knew? Should they be welcomed home or scourged for taking production elsewhere? Back to my tire research.

Not to get political but it sounds like the tax hike is doing what it's supposed to. By making it cost effective to bring manufacturing back to the USA they are doing just that.

I'm fine with buying products made in Japan (due to their governmental structure and quality) but China... not so much.

Either way, I would buy from Toyo once they stop being backordered.

I have their open country mts and would buy them again in a heartbeat if they weren't back ordered so bad. I need 2 more!

i think i got the last set of open country AT tires in the country. they had 1 in stock and had 1 shipped in from cali, one from texas and one from montana or something. i was like wow are they that hard to find?

then guy then explained to me about the tax hike and stuff. he mentioned interco doing the same thing as toyo and thats why everybody thought they were going out of business

he was a good town fair employee who knew his stuff

Not to get political but it sounds like the tax hike is doing what it's supposed to. By making it cost effective to bring manufacturing back to the USA they are doing just that.
I agree, good stuff. But it's a catch 22. Some will move jobs back to the US, oters will just pass the cost onto us.

the prices on toyo's are set to be going up, across the board, here shortly. whether or not this is due to the proposed factory move, taxes, etc, i don't know. but i understand there's a price increase coming down the pipe.

Back