• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Upper Coil Mount Damaged; Options?

PahlMc

NAXJA Forum User
Searching for a few hours this morning I only found posts that say the upper front coil mounts like to bend....and one of mine has. What I didn't find were options to fix it.

Obviously one option is coilovers! Not in the budget right now, but a fun option. What are my other options?

The issue is the coil is now pointed slightly forward. Can I put some type of shim above it? Do I need to cut it out and weld something back in? Can I just bend the back side the same amount to correct it haha.

Second question, what are people doing to prevent this before it happens?

Maybe a pic of the damage would help

From what I understand, once you bend it, it'll always be weaker. If you look through some of the build threads you will see where they've reinforced the top by adding plating to the backside. IMO, the best solution would be an engine cage.

Well not sure how an engine cafe will help without shock hoops/coilovers but yeah I'm reading on other sites I need to plate the entire coil mount to protect it from more damage.

Any pics/ideas to plate it? Or even cut it out and replace the mount. Might have to go CO sooner than later haha

So I did the exact thing just saturday out at superstition. Charging too hard, getting too much speed to go up sand dam, nailed the whoops too hard, caught air in the front, then in the back, then in the front....

Now my coil bucket looks like this:
2012-12-31092430_zps43e3e217.jpg

2012-12-31092444_zpsef25037c.jpg

I am running prothanes with a metal disk welded to some 1.5" tubing. The prothane is just floating in there with the metal placed on the top side.

The disk is a landing plate for the factory bump, and the tubing acts as a hard stop.

I know if I try and fix what is there, it will always be weaker... here is what I was thinking.

Bend it back straight using a come-along and a BFH. Then weld on a support. Not sure exactly what it would look like. And I would replace the factory rubber coil supports.

BTW, coilovers and/or engine cage are definitely out of the picture.

-Mike

if you look thru my build thread, you'll find the coil bucket plating/air bumps/ shock mounts/ engine cage I built. I plan on running coils for awhile and now ill never have to worry about them.

Well not sure how an engine cafe will help without shock hoops/coilovers but yeah I'm reading on other sites I need to plate the entire coil mount to protect it from more damage.

Any pics/ideas to plate it? Or even cut it out and replace the mount. Might have to go CO sooner than later haha

Just saying that once you plate it, tie it into a simple engine case to help distribute the force of any future impact, and it should be ok. You don't need coil overs to have an engine cage. For example, all the 1700 jeep speeds retain the stock coil bucket, and have engine cages.

So I did the exact thing just saturday out at superstition. Charging too hard, getting too much speed to go up sand dam, nailed the whoops too hard, caught air in the front, then in the back, then in the front....

Now my coil bucket looks like this:
2012-12-31092430_zps43e3e217.jpg

2012-12-31092444_zpsef25037c.jpg

I am running prothanes with a metal disk welded to some 1.5" tubing. The prothane is just floating in there with the metal placed on the top side.

The disk is a landing plate for the factory bump, and the tubing acts as a hard stop.

I know if I try and fix what is there, it will always be weaker... here is what I was thinking.

Bend it back straight using a come-along and a BFH. Then weld on a support. Not sure exactly what it would look like. And I would replace the factory rubber coil supports.

BTW, coilovers and/or engine cage are definitely out of the picture.

-Mike

Yours is easy.

Find a friend with a quality winch, hook her up and winch it back.

Bend it back and install ACOS?

Thank you guys very much for the responses.

@Cal- I love the idea, it seems very simple. For me I think I'll bend it back into place, weld on a fat ring and replace the isolator. I just need to keep 4 wheels on the ground until it's built up more.

Any ideas on where to source some steel coil spacers?

It looks to me that you have moved your axle forward. If the bump stop is still pointing to where the oem axle would be, it will look like this.

Thank you guys very much for the responses.

@Cal- I love the idea, it seems very simple. For me I think I'll bend it back into place, weld on a fat ring and replace the isolator. I just need to keep 4 wheels on the ground until it's built up more.

Any ideas on where to source some steel coil spacers?

That's pretty much what I did when mine bent...

I first heated the bent bumpstop tube and banged it back into position. I then made some spacers with some 3/16" wall 4" dia tube. Cut out some coil plates and gussets to complete the assembly. I made sure the gussets extended down far enough to the inner box section of the unirail. Worked out great. :thumbup:

2012-11-03174337.jpg

2012-11-03174348.jpg

2012-11-03190547.jpg

Last edited:
Back