• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front locker question

mjma said:
Just do it. If you ever needed 4wheel drive on dry pavement to begin with.......you need to learn how to drive!!

You can engage 4 on dry pavement for purposes like pulling something or someone, but just try to keep the jeep in a straight line. You can turn, but there will be binding. You wouldn't want to go whipping down the road in 4 with a front locker.

I would hope not.

My initial question was basically if the locker was activated by drive (tires) or by driven (Drive shaft). Now that I know it is driven activated, I will get one...oh crap I think I just confused myself again....hehehehe

thanks guys

aussie locker in front with 231, I've done about 30000Km on the diesel; later I've transplated it on 4.0/242, used for about 40000Km.
Whit 242 absolutely don't try to engage FT with the locker in front.
I've removed it just today, because I need FT next winter, it's in perfect shape, just little play on the four pins.

I've got a 242 and a lunchbox locker in the D30. (lockRight)
2wd all you hear is the ratcheting when turning.

I never use it in FT mode. If I put it in 4wd, it's 4low.

Never had a lick of trouble out of it.

To clear some things up.

A Lock-Right or Aussie locker will work with a np231 case and any style of D30 without issue. In 2WD, the locker is in coast mode and will ratchet if it needs to, which is mostly in tight turns.

For any style of D30 with a Lock-Right or Aussie locker, the drive shaft will spin.

Unless you have a 2.5L or 2.8L engine, you will want to replace your front drive shafts with the larger joint size, and if it is already equipped with such, you will want to replace the drivers side with a CM inner and outer shaft for dependability.

Auto Lockers in the front create understeer conditions when in 4WD and under power with marginal traction conditions. If you live in an area where winter drivability is of great importance (like the mountains), as opposed to getting where you want to go, installing a selectable locker will be more desirable.

Back