• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Hub Bearing - Best Manufacturer

FusiliJerry

NAXJA Forum User
Being the Mopar hub bearings appear to be discontinued, what is the goto brand nowadays that isn't chinesium trash? My goto used to be SKF but I'm even seeing that they have gone off the reservation a la Timken recently in multiple accounts on BITOG.

I've done some research and it seems as though BCA/NTN is the last remaining bearing manufacturer with a relatively unblemished reputation for quality and consistency anymore.

Thoughts?

I just purchased a pair of Timken off Amazon. Made in China, but quality looks fine except for the lug nut studs which are black oxide instead of nickel or chrome plated. However, it looks like all replacement front bearing assemblies for the XJ now use black oxide lug nut studs.

I just put Timkins in mine off Amazon and they say made in S. Korea not China. I have never had issues with anything Timkin.

I've gone with Timken and SKF. Both have lasted fine so far. I've gone with the cheapies from Summit, and those didn't last.

It's hard to find parts not made in China these days. I try as often as I can, but sometimes there is no option.

I'd go with a name brand and be done with.

BTW, love your screen name!

country of origin should be the determining factor IMHO.

Now you can't be sure about the leading manufacturers' products (& I've always been doubtful of the provenance of parts that come in Mopar boxes) I'm inclined to agree - but it's not that simple now.

What I've noticed lately is that bearings (& other parts, for that matter) are offered for sale - at widely disparate prices - with no indication of make or where they're made.

I bought some F(l)AG from NAPA a few years back. They looked different from each other and were in SKF boxes. I think Schroedering is the name for the F(l)AG bearings too. Anyways, I had a front tire puckering. I thought it was the F(l)AG, but was the SKF. I did order some open boxed ones on EBAY. Two SKFs and one TIMKEN. All had 'CHINA' on them. I did install one of those SKFs. Rotated the tires and all is OK so far.
I did use on MOOG on a stocker and an Import (China). They held up. I have run TIMKEN and SKFs. No issues before the last one.

I bought some F(l)AG from NAPA a few years back. They looked different from each other and were in SKF boxes. I think Schroedering is the name for the F(l)AG bearings too. Anyways, I had a front tire puckering. I thought it was the F(l)AG, but was the SKF. I did order some open boxed ones on EBAY. Two SKFs and one TIMKEN. All had 'CHINA' on them. I did install one of those SKFs. Rotated the tires and all is OK so far.
I did use on MOOG on a stocker and an Import (China). They held up. I have run TIMKEN and SKFs. No issues before the last one.

I retired out of a Napa and we sell the SKF's.
So I would just buy those because it is easy.
I was going to say if you buy from Napa by the SKF's, Line Code is BRG, but it is a shame that they are not lifetime warrantied anymore, only 3 years, and not buy the PGB or NOE line ones.
But I couldn't remember the Line Code for the PGB ones and had to look it up.
They are warrantied for only 12 months.
But did notice that the NOE ones are a lifetime warranty.
Thing is online looks like I can't get them through my store but can get them shipped to me.
But thinking if I use the computer at the store could find some so I could get my discount.
Thinking would still go SKF though.

I retired out of a Napa and we sell the SKF's.
So I would just buy those because it is easy.
I was going to say if you buy from Napa by the SKF's, Line Code is BRG, but it is a shame that they are not lifetime warrantied anymore, only 3 years, and not buy the PGB or NOE line ones.
But I couldn't remember the Line Code for the PGB ones and had to look it up.
They are warrantied for only 12 months.
But did notice that the NOE ones are a lifetime warranty.
Thing is online looks like I can't get them through my store but can get them shipped to me.
But thinking if I use the computer at the store could find some so I could get my discount.
Thinking would still go SKF though.

x2 on the Brg over the PG brand I just had both fronts put on the wife's car along with new pads and rotors I to retired from Napa Genuine Parts Company after 36 years. Ok

It seems like all the major brands are in a race to the bottom of pricing and quality. Parts manufacturers have all adopted an "economy" line to compete with the cheap chinese parts, and guess where those parts come from?

Yeah, country of origin is a pretty good indicator nowadays.

I'm not convinced that a part in a plain white box merely carrying the legend "Made in the USA" is better than one made in China (or India, Poland, Turkey, wherever) to the specs. of a leading manufacturer.

Maybe price is a better indicator now, although even that's not straightforward. I mean, avoid those that are 1/10th of the cost of the most expensive, which aren't, necessarily, the best - but the middle ground's a minefield. :dunno:

My experience is that its a minefield from top to bottom unless the specific part has a boutique outfit that specializes in its manufacture. I don't know of any boutique automotive bearing manufacturers.

My experience is that its a minefield from top to bottom unless the specific part has a boutique outfit that specializes in its manufacture. I don't know of any boutique automotive bearing manufacturers.

I would say that is the essence of the problem.

I think my luck is best with someone like Timken or SKF because they have more of a reputation to lose in the bearing field. But as companies keep on diversifying or being amalgamated into larger corporations there is less of that sense of importance to associate with a brand. Someone higher up in the food chain is more concerned with his quarterly bonus than he is with customer perception 18 months down the line. Take the profit now. Deal with the consequences later, especially if it can be someone else's problem then.

I would say that is the essence of the problem. . .
& I would say you're probably right - & doubt there's many that'd disagree

. . . I think my luck is best with someone like Timken or SKF because they have more of a reputation to lose in the bearing field. . .
Their prices scare me - but I'm inclined to agree - & for the same reason.

. . . as companies keep on diversifying or being amalgamated into larger corporations there is less of that sense of importance to associate with a brand. Someone higher up in the food chain is more concerned with his quarterly bonus than he is with customer perception 18 months down the line. Take the profit now. Deal with the consequences later, especially if it can be someone else's problem then.

Ain't it the truth? So sad! & maybe, that is the essence of the problem.

Back