• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end issue need opinion

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
87 waggy, has new ujoints in front axle, new wheel bearings, rebuilt front driveshaft, rebuilt transfer case. Still, when under load at highway speed in 4wd, it shakes like a wheel is coming off. And no, the wheel is not coming off, i just removed and replaced it. what the :firedevil:firedevil:firedevil is making this :firedevil:firedevil:firedevil:firedevil:firedeviling wobble?

the better question would be, why are you going hwy speed in 4 wheel drive? i hope you have a 242? Our jeeps arent really meant to go 60+ in 4 wheel drive. I wouldnt even run the full time tcase that hard.

did you check your balljoints? what about tracbar? steering linkage? all can cause a shimmy at speed

Yep, I have the 242. I have always been able to drive highway speed with it.

:dunno:check for a slipped belt in the tires?

Rotate tires front to back. Check/adjust alignment. Drive it again. If it goes away tires either need to be balanced or replaced.

I have rotated tires, made no difference. Steering is fairly new ZJ v8 upgrade, less than a year old I would say, and feels tight. It has been getting progressively worse over the past 2 weeks. I can't get any play in my ball joints when I jack it up and use a prybar, but I suppose they could be a little loose. My tires are getting old, and they are chopped from misalignment from when they were on my old truck. I have never had a tire balance issue show up worse under load but that is about all I have left. Any thoughts?

the better question would be, why are you going hwy speed in 4 wheel drive? i hope you have a 242? Our jeeps arent really meant to go 60+ in 4 wheel drive. I wouldnt even run the full time tcase that hard.

The manual says you can engage 4wd at any legal driving speed. 231 or 242. The front driveshaft spins all the time anyway.

Have you checked the pinion bearings and the front driveshaft output on the t-case? I had a very deep vibe that shook the whole cab, it was pinion bearings. They were sloppy and let the driveshaft spin wobbly. Because it happens worse under load I would suspect something in the front driveline to the axle.

I've had mine up to 60-75mph wheel speed while wheeling in 4wd. Of course, I couldn't tell if the wobble was from driving over stuff or from mechanical issues :gee:

Long shot - check for snow packed into the rims? Also make sure the tires are at least balanced, funky wear from a bad alignment will cause issues.

Geeze, what were you desert prerunning or something? :D
that's why I said wheel speed :D

Nope, I was sliding around in the snow with my foot on the floor. I've hit 30 or 40 in the woods but nothing above that.

Pinion bearings are nice and tight, transfer case was rebuilt last week, and I just replaced all 3 u joints in the front driveshaft along with the centering yoke. I checked for ice and snow buildup in the rims no luck. Im starting to wonder if my passenger front axle shaft is bent.

Back