• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

forrest health warning

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Plague Strikes Squirrels in California CampgroundBy Alan Harten on July 7, 2010 Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons Plague Strikes Squirrels in California Campground.X In something that sounds like a low-budget Hollywood horror movie, the Los Alamos Campground in the massive Angeles National Forest has been closed and will remain so for a lease eight days.X This comes as wildlife officials investigate reports that a squirrel found in the area tested positive for the plague. The campground will remain closed while animal experts comb the forest and dust squirrel burrows with flea killer, as it is actually the insects that transmit the disease not the squirrels themselves. Although a concern, public health officials from Los Angeles County said that there is no need for panic as their have only been four cases of the plague in humans in Los Angeles County in the last 25 years. None of those proved to be deadly. The park itself will remain open and wildlife experts say visitors must avoid the burrows of animals such as squirrels and chipmunks and other rodents.X They advise that visitors should also make sure to use plenty of insect repellent.

Well.... I can tell you one thing, it's not just in LA county mtns. The ground squirrels in Forest Falls (San bernardino mtns.) have the plague as well. We have squirells around the house that have clumps of fur missing, they don't have the ability to walk straight. We often see them spinning in circles or just darting back and fourth. Some of them have these tumerous growths on their bodies. It's quite fowl looking at these diseased critters. At first I only noticed a couple to be diseased but it seems that the majority of the ones I see around town now are diseased. My neighbors have been calling it the "Mad Squirrel Disease" due to the similar way they act as cows with Mad Cow disease. My only action against it is to shoot them. The problem though is that they bread like rabits. I can't kill them quick enough.

I haven't seen or herd about that in the sbnf but I am sure its more prevalent than they want us to know about.

Bhicks: do you know if you or your neighbors have had animal control out to check the little buggers?

Ps mad squirl disease sounds like something Skwerly started :)

I have heard nothing from animal control but the camp my wife works at is VERY aware of the situation and has informed their staff to stay as far away from the ground squirrels as possible. I have a feeling that this thing is going to get much worse.

I forgot to mention that the ones that are diseased seem to be missing a lot of fur from their tails.

saw this one on the 38.....sorry dont pick up hitchhikers
l_7dd4911c104a47bab476de1b07e7f48e.jpg

Back