• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Explorer Tech (tire fell off)

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm buying a 97 Explorer with the V8 and 137K. The owner pulled the front DS CVshaft because it was making noise. Well just a ways up the road...the tire fell off.

Now the exploder isnt in my posesion yet, so I cant inspect and study it. And I know very little about independant suspension. The brake rotor and hub came off attached to the tire. The lower suspension peice looks fine and didn't break. The caliper, brake hose and CV shaft all need to be replaced. What else should I check? He was only going 25mph in a school zone.

Explain to me how the AWD is set up on the explorer and why the tire came off. Because I just dont understand...Shouldn't the knuckle and all the other crap on there hold it on?

Oh, and the whole truck...was $200

there is a reason it was $200.00..............................

but being as the rotor came with it. it sounds like the hub died and tore everything apart. I can allmost 100% bet it was also making a nice grinding noise right before and the tire was sitting w/ hella negative camber (allmost as what it would look like with bad upper balljoints)

I guess I just dont understand what attaches to what under there. It seems to me that even with no cv shaft it should have kept rolling no problem.

And worst case is I take the rear end and part the rest out.

well if it had no cv half-shaft thats why it fell off. with hub assemblys you need to have the cv axle holding the assembly together there has to be a set preload on it.

Back