• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flush before radiator replacment?

waskie

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be beneficial or a waste to do a flush before replacing my radiator/water pump/tstat?

Would it be beneficial or a waste to do a flush before replacing my radiator/water pump/tstat?

If you're going to replace a major cooling component, it's helpful to do a flush beforehand. For instance, even with a system flush, you're going to have stuff stuck in the bottom of the radiator - and some of the stuff from the block will settle in the bottom of the radiator tanks.

Pull the radiator out, you pull the crap out with it!

I asked myself the same question before replacing my radiator and came up with a "yes." Why would I want to run all the old crap in my block through a brand new radiator so I removed all the crap first. My 2 cents

If the cooling system has been well maintained with frequent flushes, it isn't as necessary IMHO but considering that more than half haven't had this care, a flush isn't a bad idea....

Back