• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Five things that make your junk, junk.

91 red XJ
- Make start
- clean out inside

92 grey XJ
-front left fender
-rear 1/4 pannel armor (not the small bottom corner, but the whole thing from the door to the tail light)
-remove "Check antilock" light
-make e-brake work
-make a tire carrier

Only 5?????

Well, I suppose it will have to be:

1: The main bearing leak that is now spraying oil all over the hatch, making wiping difficult.

2: The rust holes in the roof, which now leaks on my seat.

3: The rust holes in the floor, which is getting kind of ...soft.

4: The mysterious frigid draft that comes under the right dash area which is getting worse, requiring passenger to put a pillow over her legs on cold days. Might possibly be rust related. I think it might be blowing down through the roof pillar.

5: The now virtually nonexistent rocker panels, replacements on hand if I can figure out what is left to attach them to.

6 and up: Everything else.

1. Armor: Dented AW-4 pan - pound flat, weld on a skidplate. Extend front bumper mounts to catch more bolts.
2. Suspension stuff: Possibly deformed spring perches - remove and weld on new perches. Broken caster adjuster/shortarms - longarms.
3. "High quality" wiring - rewire Daylighters after reinstalling roof rack.
4. Semi-crushed exhaust - replace most of the exhaust again, at least cat-back.
5. Doors: Dented passenger door - fab up half door. Driver's half door sucks - fab up new half door.

And of course miscellaneous light body work to make my junk look nice again. ;)

Phil said:
1. Armor: Dented AW-4 pan - pound flat, weld on a skidplate. Extend front bumper mounts to catch more bolts.
2. Suspension stuff: Possibly deformed spring perches - remove and weld on new perches. Broken caster adjuster/shortarms - longarms.
3. "High quality" wiring - rewire Daylighters after reinstalling roof rack.
4. Semi-crushed exhaust - replace most of the exhaust again, at least cat-back.
5. Doors: Dented passenger door - fab up half door. Driver's half door sucks - fab up new half door.

And of course miscellaneous light body work to make my junk look nice again. ;)
what's wrong with your driver's half door?

CRASH said:
Five things I pledge to fix this winter to make my rig non-junky:

Heater core (leaking),

headliner (none since the through the roof cage),

stereo (hello, who owns a tape deck anymore?)

underhood wiring (can you say Renix rat's nest?)

center console (need to build a new one)

I spend all my time on hard parts, and let this seemingly little stuff go.

Eventually, it drives you nuts.......and your wife won't get in the Jeep anymore.

It's sad when my junk is more junky than yours.
Just got conned into another trip to the Hammers so the progression shall continue...

Jes said:
It's sad when my junk is more junky than yours.
Just got conned into another trip to the Hammers so the progression shall continue...

What are you talking about? This thing looks CHERRY!

jesflexpic.jpg

Matthew Currie said:
Only 5?????

Well, I suppose it will have to be:

1: The main bearing leak that is now spraying oil all over the hatch, making wiping difficult.

2: The rust holes in the roof, which now leaks on my seat.

3: The rust holes in the floor, which is getting kind of ...soft.

4: The mysterious frigid draft that comes under the right dash area which is getting worse, requiring passenger to put a pillow over her legs on cold days. Might possibly be rust related. I think it might be blowing down through the roof pillar.

5: The now virtually nonexistent rocker panels, replacements on hand if I can figure out what is left to attach them to.

6 and up: Everything else.

Methinks it be time for a new one.

Matthew Currie said:
Onl

If you can figure out what it is, please let me know. I've been chasing this for a couple years with no luck. Okay, only half-ass chasing it.

My wife won't ride with me in the winter anymore because of the cold draft.

ONLY five, huh?
okay
1) the damn puegot tranny that refuses to DIE no matter HOW hard I abuse it.
2) stupid internal slave cyl. on the damn puegot tranny. (it has cost me more than I paid for the WHOLE MJ.)
3) REALLY stupid design of the tranny mount on the damn puegot that refuses to die.
4) driver side door frame of cab on MJ that is tweaked JUST enough to not let the door stay shut unless you REALLY slam the door- it is the frame not the door, i have tried changing the door several times, allready.
5) moronic RENIX wiring- would have been too much trouble to have all the wiring ON THE SAME DAMN SIDE, instead of splitting the harness?

Let's see...

Things slated for correction in restomod...

Elimination of aftermarket sunroof (anyone got the front half of a straight roof, so I can make a patch?)
Subsequent installation of headliner.
Cleanup of underhood wiring and mods. (Hey, there are times I'm in a hurry as well!)
Elimination fo bulkhead connectors and integrated harness (going to subharness organisation and Amphenol connectors for pass-through.)
Elimination of Peugeot 5-speed gearbox, hopefully for an NV3550.
Elimination of 3.07:1 axle gearing, for something "a little deeper." I'd have to crunch some numbers, but 4.10's want to sound useful.
Fabricate new instrument panel, using aircraft gages (I'm used to them.)

Oh - if anyone wants to get rid of stock RENIX underhood wiring, do let me know! Even with it out of the vehicle, I can still use it to make patterns for wiring overhaul.

5-90

My five

1. Not having an exocage I added more carnage to it this weekend.
2. Heater vents, the vacum is disconected
3. The blow by suxs. I do ot know if there is much I can do about it but I will keep trying.
4. Exhaust leak is anoying
5. Steering box leak is messy

My buddy is sick and tired of me asking if he wants to keep me company while I work on the jeep. He always somehow ends up going home filthy cause he starts helping.

Last edited:
afd516 said:
My buddy is sick and tired of me asking if he wants to keep me company while I work on the jeep. He always somehow ends up going home filthy cause he starts helping.

Yeah I got one of those buddies too....I say its good practice for when he gets that XJ of his very own come april...lol

hmm lets see, my 5:

1. Fix leaking Rear Main (man that does seem to be popular among the responses doesn't it?)

2. Fix leaking Oil Pan Gasket (can do with Rear Main)

3. Fix the damn defroster so I can defrost both sides of my windshield on any setting above 1

4. Change Front and Rear diff. fluids

5. Would love to do a coolant flush, but when it being cold now, I don't see that happenin untill spring(ish)

Then theres the tranny that needs a good flushin, the front brakes and rotors need to be changed....badly, gonna need an evaporator here shortly, and by the sounds of my compressor this morning, probably a new compressor too. Still love my HEEP though....wouldn't trade it for anything :)

to fix my junk would be easier to say what doesnt need fixing

4wd locks in and hasnt failed yet
engine cranks on command
gauges work

anything else you can think of needs fixing(yes everthing all the way down to bushings)

anyone wanna sell a jeep in FL

1. Shim the D30 vacuum actuator. I was supposed to do that tonight but now it looks like Wednesday. Just in time for AFTER the snow storm we're getting tomorrow.

2. Weld up those JKS plates that have been sitting in my garage for 3 months.

3. replace drivers side floor board.

4. Get the bottom part of the doors, rockers, and rear quarters redone again

5. clean the beads on all my tires and throw some bead seal on them. Anyone got any cheap steel wheels they want to get rid of? I hate aluminum wheels. Oh, and by cheap I mean free. The scrap metal guy took the ones I had behind the shop, even though they weren't in the scrap pile.

1. Rebuild the tired Renix.

2. Ixnay the leafs in the rear and link my Toy axle in.

3. Do something, anything that is better than the D30.

4. Build a new bed

5. Make all the money to do this crap.

1. Busted Cruise Control Vacuum line. That $3 part causes more problems then you would think.

2. Cracked Battery tray, so the Optima can float around.

3. Missing A-Pillar trim, currently out for fiberglassing.

4. Temperamental Stock CD Player

5. 3.55 gears on 33s

In no particular order -

Finish floor covering (herculiner- good thing I live in a warm climate)
Fix radio antenna that I recently broke
Replace radiator
Fix leaking power steering
Overhaul worn front suspension (b. joints, tie rod ends, etc.)

Hopefully within the next month...

Rewire all the lights to a central fuse box
Ford 9
Trimmed quarters
Re-align the seats
Remove anything that may be cosmetically appealing so it won't get dirty.

Five for my 88 DD XJ will be easy!

I want my 5 MPG back! My junk went from 19-20ish to 15ish right after a roadtrip to & from a trailride in Tellico... My routine for the past two years of a weekly tankful is now a 4-day suck.

Need to replace the rear end

Need to replace the front end too

Need to replace the battery and upgrade/add some wiring

Need to get a matching wheel and add my new spare to the rotation

How many is that? Are these like "Dream of Jeannie" wishes, or things we are commiting to actually do?

My headliner pad looks like Freddy Krueger's mom's basement. :dunno: I only see it in the rear view.

Back