• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally moved to Colorado Springs

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
We finally got here from Germany. It took us a while and we are still unpacking but we are here at last. We live near Jet Wing and Hancock, I know it is not the best area but I couldn't resist the 1000sqft garage. I also like being near 4wheelparts and Predator 4x4.

Now all I need is a good job. I won't be able to play until I get some money coming in. I still need to get a front driveshaft for my Jeep and finish my axles.

What do you all do about this crappy oxygenated gas? It is killing my Mustang and my Jeep isn't too happy. Is there any place within a short distance where I can get the real stuff?

Thanks,

I can tell it is the fuel and the altitude. I trailered the Mustang here with a full fresh tank of Florida gas. When I pulled it off the trailer it was a little slugish and was running rich. I went ahead and bump timing up 4 degrees and went down 3 jet sizes and then it ran decent but down on power. When I finally had to gas it up here, it started to run bad again and I had to pull out some of the timing due to the lower octane ratings here. It really doesn't like this gas here.

Also when I drove my Jeep here from Florida, it was running great the whole time until I gased up in Limon after coming through Kansas. Limon is already at 5300ft and I could feel a little difference in power but not much. About 20 minutes after gasing it up in Limon I could feel a big difference in power. I was having to downshift more and use a lower gear more often. Luckily the jeep is fuel injected so it still runs fine, but is way down on power.

I know the next time I go traveling, I'm going to load up all my spare gas cans with real gas and do an experiment.

Yeah, I'm not far from you at all. I live on Moonbeam. I haven't decided what I want to do for work. I'm a jack of all trades. I am looking at many things: PC repair and home network set up, possibly something with my secret security clearance, Some kind of field technician repair work, or last but not least mechanic or even becoming a service writer or store manager at an auto parts place. I can't decide.

Later,

Well all that's out of my relm I drive truck for a lumber yard. I say the parts stores I could use a friend in a parts store. LOL You should do fine in the tech fields here. Good luck. If you ever need a hand with your XJ I'll do what I can always ready to learn. Don

It's the gas. I've been tracking gas mileage on my 90 for 14 years(bought it used.) Fairly new and stone stock, it would get 22 mpg on the highway and 16 mpg in town in the summer(it's a stick.) Winter time it would drop to 14 in town, and 20 mpg highway. Buying gas in Woodland Park without the oxygenation would always restore the mileage. Unfortunately, despite the EPA declaring that COS does not need oxygenated gas in the winter anymore, near as I can tell the majority of the gas has 10% ethanol in it. This lowers the energy content of the gas, and lowers mileage. Normally, ethanol does increase the octane of gas, but I suspect they adjust their mix to account for that increase. Increasing compression is the only real answer, but it helps to have a knock sensor.

Fred

Welcome! Where in the springs are yah? My dad has a '67 fastback and and that thing has never gotten good mileage in Colorado (7 mpg vs. about twice that in CA). We're originally from CA, too, so we noticed a big difference. Anyway, how yah like it here so far?

Fred,
Do you actually know of a gas station that always sells the good gas? It would be worth it for me once in a while to drive up and fill all my cans with gas.

Jeepin Girl,
I live near Hancock expressway and Jet wing, on Moonbeam. It is not the greatest area; but I don't mind. I'm not too far from 4wheelparts and the small Predator 4x4 store. I like the convienience of all the stores. I really like it here so far, I haven't had a chance to go wheeling yet. I just got my MTB back from the shop too, so now I need to find some good trails. I need to do some more work before my xj is ready. Does your dad belong to any Mustang or car clubs? I'm looking to find a nice club to join. My 87 XJ is fairly easy to spot, faded and peeling grey paint with 35" MT's and Bushwhacker cutout flares, stock bumpers and a sunroof.

Later,

Rob Patterson said:
Jeepin Girl,
I live near Hancock expressway and Jet wing, on Moonbeam. It is not the greatest area; but I don't mind. I'm not too far from 4wheelparts and the small Predator 4x4 store. I like the convienience of all the stores. I really like it here so far, I haven't had a chance to go wheeling yet. I just got my MTB back from the shop too, so now I need to find some good trails. I need to do some more work before my xj is ready. Does your dad belong to any Mustang or car clubs? I'm looking to find a nice club to join. My 87 XJ is fairly easy to spot, faded and peeling grey paint with 35" MT's and Bushwhacker cutout flares, stock bumpers and a sunroof.

Later,

Yup, I know pretty much exactly where you're at. Just went to Predator the other day, didn't know they closed so early on Saturdays though (12pm). My dad used to be a part of a club in the Springs and then one in Monument, closer to where we live, but he hasn't showed it or been a part of a club in years. Too bad too, cuz it was always fun. I wonder if I saw your XJ the other day, because when I was out on Saturday, MAN I saw more Jeeps that was comprehendable! Heh, glad you're enjoying the Springs so far.

Used to be able to find it in Woodland park, but not that I've seen anymore. I haven't seen anyplace without 10% ethanol. It must be cheaper.

Fred

Back