• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Flare Poll

Better fender flare poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i would think that because you have already made 1 set, the rest would follow with minimal work...

i would think that because you have already made 1 set, the rest would follow with minimal work...
The rigid ones wouldn't be too hard to make right now. Its just that the models for the back flares are being redone and that part takes lots of time.
However, the flexible flares use different technology and only one of the models for the flexible fender flares has been made. It'd take a full week, maybe more, to get them ready to go.
Doug

I noticed that the results of the poll are favoring neither flare. I just don't understand that. I love having options. I would vote for you making both ridgid and flexible if that was an option. I would love to have some of those like in your photo. I personally think BW's look like crap unless you have really wide tires.
Yeah, I agree, the BWs are too wide. By the way, thanks for the compliment.

Your flares look great, but it's so cheap and relatively simple to make them out of TJ flares I'm really surprised Bushwacker and Rusty's sell enough to warrant production. I'd assume you could beat Bushwacker's price, but could you do it and still be profitable?

Good luck either way, it's always cool to see innovation at work.

Your flares look great, but it's so cheap and relatively simple to make them out of TJ flares I'm really surprised Bushwacker and Rusty's sell enough to warrant production. I'd assume you could beat Bushwacker's price, but could you do it and still be profitable?

Good luck either way, it's always cool to see innovation at work.
Thanks for the post.
All this started because I didn't like what was on the market but it'd be nice to recover some of the money spent building the fender flares. Trying to beat some big company is not part of the plan. But now that I'm set up to do this other things could be made. For example, my '98 doesn't have rear bumper caps because they get torn off. So it'd be fairly easy to make some heavy duty slider bumper caps that fit the rear bumper like stock but that could fasten on with pocket screws to match the fender flares. Just one other thing that could be done to the Jeep....
Doug

Obviously there is a market for these or Rusty's and BW wouldn't still be making them. If you could produce them, and beat their price I would think you could grab a huge share of the market just off of price alone. Not only that, but I like the fact that yours look better, and a better dimension for me than the BW's I currently have. I would most likely be interested in getting some of yours, and just selling mine.

I certainly would be interested. I like the fact that they are not so big.

Sounds like there is a market out there for you Doug. I say go for it. Burn a dozen sets and see how quickly they sell and how you make out profit-wise. Good luck.

Doug

I'd be interested if they were as wide as the BW flares. I think they look great. If they're only a couple inches wider than stock I would have to pass, as they wouldn't clear the tires/rims I'm choosing.

I'd be interested if they were as wide as the BW flares. I think they look great. If they're only a couple inches wider than stock I would have to pass, as they wouldn't clear the tires/rims I'm choosing.
Yeah, if you're going real big they might not work. This setup is 33x12.5s with about 6" of lift and the tires will fully stuff without a problem.
Doug

Yeah, if you're going real big they might not work. This setup is 33x12.5s with about 6" of lift and the tires will fully stuff without a problem.
Doug

Hmmm, perhaps it was just my offset on my last jeep, as my 33x12.5's were perfect with the BW's.

3165509137_ae9518ff0c_b.jpg

Would that be a 3.5" backspace ?

Jonathanc, that is a perfect jeep in a beautiful setting.

The trails around here are tightly twisting around trees with rocks and muddy trails. Almost every time we go out someone gets body damage. In my situation, the BWs were big enough to hit stuff and then shatter. That's one fundamental design change behind the design of these fender flares. They project out from the jeep slightly less than BWs which helps decrease impact. The rigid set is a heavier gauge material therefore more resistant to shattering. The other set is flexible so they bounce back after impact. These work well for me and I just thought some other people might be interested.
Doug

These work well for me and I just thought some other people might be interested.
Doug

Don't get me wrong, im not trying to turn this into a yours vs BW discussion. For my new jeep I havent purchased flares yet, and if something like yours works as well or better for cheaper, I would buy them. I suppose it would mean I would just run slightly less backspacing on the wheels.

What wheel dimensions do you run to make it fit correctly under your flares ?

I used Pre 97 on my 97. I an real happy with em. Held on with 3m tape, no drilling & wont break if I rub.

P1115094.jpg

I didn't like the way bushwhackers were made AT ALL... very brittle... Even worse in Cold temps I would imagine. The Floppy flares just look like crap (ok there are some that look ok)

I say forget either of those and go OEM style which is hard but has plenty of give. Wont break or Flop.

Don't get me wrong, im not trying to turn this into a yours vs BW discussion................What wheel dimensions do you run to make it fit correctly under your flares ?
No problem, I fully agree that different approaches are going to work better for different people or situations. There are so many ways to build jeeps and each way can be perfect for the guy building it..............
These wheels have been on for so long that I don't remember the backspacing. The local Jeep shop had loads of them in stock so I think they are pretty basic.
Doug

I say forget either of those and go OEM style which is hard but has plenty of give. Wont break or Flop.
Nice jeep Hammered. How much lift are you running and what size tire?
The polyurethane flare that's being called "flexible" feels a lot like OEM plastic only thicker and of course more projection, with larger width & height to accomodate larger tires. The front flares are the largest and I've not made those yet but if they "Flop" then either the design will change or they won't get used.

Back