• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeling "Horny"

Mopar500

NAXJA Forum User
My lower toned horn stopped working recently. So now I have a real high beep, like my XJ got kicked in the nads or something. I think it was due to all the drift busting I was doing here in Colorado. I imagine I got some melted snow in one of them, which (according to what I read in the search) can stop it from working.
Anyway, looking for a simple upgrade, I purchased the Hella horns from Summit. And now I am trying to figure out where the original horns are and what I would need to do to wire these new ones up.

1. I think I read that the horns are in the bumper. Do I need to take the bumper off to replace them?

2. Would mounting them behind the grill, in front of the radiator, be a bad idea?

3. The new horns came with just a relay. Could I just bolt the new horns in and splice the them into the stock wiring?

Thanks for any help!

Horns are in different locations on the 2.5L/4.0L vs year.

IIRC the horns are behind the headlights on the drivers side. You can get to them from the fenderwell or from underneath.

I've gotten water and mud inside one of mine before after wheelin some, and it sounded just like you describe....after a couple of days it dried out and started working again.

Every now and then if I go through a deep puddle or somethin after a really heavy rain, or some up on a section of road thats under water and I go a bit to fast through it, the horn will act "sick" for the first couple of uses, then go back to normal again.

IIRC = if I remember correctly

Back