• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Farm Tech for lowering center of gravity

Cheropair

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so maybe I'm wwaayy off the mark on this one---

Was just helping my Uncle change a tire on his tractor, thing weighed a lot more than it should have. He explained that it was full of a water/chloride mix. Made me think - on a trail only rig, would putting water in the tires add enough weight to seriously affect the center of gravity? A 33 or 35x12.50 would hold quite a bit of water, maybe a 150#? Right at the bottom, seems like a good idea. Maybe leave a little room at the top for air, so you can adjust the pressure.

Wouldn't be of much use for mud, weight is usually a bad thing. Was really thinking about side hills with good traction (rock crawling). High speeds don't seem like a good idea, something about trying to brake with all of the rotational mass - or would the water just spin around inside the tire, not affecting braking?

Last thought, after draining for the trip home, there would still be some water in the tire - would this work like the BB/golf ball/Equal/Centramatic balancing trick?

Whew, too much work, not enough sleep - bone head thoughts and ramblings........ Goodnight, my NAXJA friends! :eek:

Pretty sure most rock crawling competitors fill their front tires with water for a better weight distribution. Heard it mentioned on POR a few times, don't know anything more though.

Ary

Yeah, some of the competition rigs have used water in the tires. I don't know what the current rend is and how many are still doing it.

Some water in the tires at highway speeds is not a good thing, I have personal experience. Lost a bead in a creek one time, on a front tire. When I hit the road for the trip home I couldn't go over 45 mph without very bad shaking. Stopped in the closest town and took the tire off the rim and had to get about three inches of water out, then it was fine.

I grew up with 2 tractors with chloride in the rear tires.

I wouldn't do this in any except a dedicated competition rig, and probably not even then.

Richard points out slosh issues, and he's right. Comparatively speaking, tractors run on smooth surfaces. Yeah, I know.......... but compare the furrow left by a 16" plow bottom to crawling over a 3' stair ledge. And the water still frequently works against you. One of the scariest experiences that you can have is driving a tractor down hill and getting the solution sloshing out of phase, then rocking the tractor left and right. Yes, it will roll it! For tractors, Dad & I both figure that rim weights are more effective and safer than chloride.

BTW, the tires are not filled completely, there is usually an airspace above the rim.

ChiXJeff

Back