• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch?

I've read that it is true, but have never tried. I figured $35 for a new fan clutch as NAPA was the least I could do for my Jeep.

Some early Dodge and Chevy fan clutches were adjustable. So long ago I really don't have a clear memory, but do remember the adjustment was in 1/4 turn increments for the valve. I contemplated the same thing but I saw no way to accomplish a 1/4 turn on the jeep fan clutch valve? I ended up buying a Crown fan clutch, I have to say it was way stiffer than stock and made the fan noisy at lower RPM's. The Crown clutch only lasted a few years and all the fluid leaked out.

md21722, I never thought about getting the Jeep a stocking, thanks!

8Mud, Ive seen in the forums that the oe can clutch IS adjustable. That allegedly why some models have two sets of pegs at 12 and 6 oclock, where the foof of the spring seats.

BulletMaker, if fan clutches failed, locked, why does a failing fan clutch cause overheating in traffic?????

lilnapsak, I appreciate the offer! I don't need it that bad. Its not a dd.

when you do buy one, buy the hayden.

still made in Ohio.
at least the one I bought 6 months ago was.

Fan clutches usually fail open, they do not engage.

Some clutches have a thermal clock-spring that control when the clutch engages.
The spring can be messed with but they usually are adjusted correctly right out of the box.
The amount of lockup is built into the clutch, adjusting the clock-spring will have no effect on increasing maximum lockup.
Never seen an XJ fan clutch, in person or online, with any adjustments or instructions on how to adjust it.

If you want it to really lock up, drill it and bolt it together. Had to do that once when the fan clutch's bearing went out a couple hundred miles from home. It cooled quite well.

Back