• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new exhaust for my 99. I use it to plow, pull my boat, utility trailer and camper. I put around 4000 miles a year on it and I'm tired of replacing exhaust. Any ideas on a quiet stainless system that is around $300 or less. That or know of a place near Green Bay or north of there that does a custom stainless system?

I'm putting an APC exhaust manifold in, brown dog motor mounts and a small stainless flex pipe between the down pipe and the manifold to prevent a cracked manifold again.
I had one Dynomax muffler 6 years ago and the thing drove me nuts with the noise that muffler produced.

Yes i know there is an oem tech but one of the question's is area related.

The cat seems ok. It was replaced by the PO. I'm replacing the header with an APC unit and was recommended to put in a piece of stainless flex pipe between the first mount and the header collector.

Thanks for the link Hubs.

Well still waiting on E-trade for my firewood/Jeep repair cash. I'm actually getting an APN exhaust header not an APC.:sure:

I did find a Magnaflow kit # 15856 for $389. Anyone have the Magnaflow exhaust? Am I pissing money away on stuff that is not necessary? Is it loud? I'm getting older and don't want a loud exhaust when cruising down the highway.

My local shop said they could mandrel bend a heavy gauge aluminized setup with a fully welded muffler for $200 installed.

I wouldn't drop $389 on an item that can/will get smashed. Local shop for $200 sounds like a good plan.

That and 9 out of 10 exhaust kits I have installed don't fit very well. Ask the exhaust shop to run it high clearance as they can.

I'm thinking the same thing. Although my wheeling is limited to logging roads, fire lanes, snowmobile and ATV trails. The latter two is only until we get the UTV at the fire department as we currently have no vehicle that fits down the trails for assistance or medical extraction. The Jeep just fits and has thankfully only been needed twice in 5 years.

The Walker stuff I agree is quiet. Although that is the exhaust that lasted only two years before rotting with 4 holes in it.
most walker stuff has a decent warranty. I'd probably try to warranty the muffler and have the local shop bend up the pipe.

JMHO:

Have a shop bend it up if you want a full exhaust.

If you want to go to just a cat, muffler, and turn down then do it yourself.

As far as mufflers, it is hard to beat the Flowmaster 40 for durability, they do tend to rumble a little, as anyone that has been on a trail with me can tell you. I have had mine for 10 years now and it still looks pretty good.

Rev

X2 on the Flowmaster 40, I've heard only god things about it...

Now me, having bashed 4 mufflers off my pile, have opted for a straight-pipe in its place... For the moment...

Actually going to exhaust shop later today to see if they can custom-make a down-pipe for me... Might see what they can do for me for a CAT back system...

Also running a Flowmaster 40, you m said you wanted quiet, so maybe check out the ones with the Delta flow, they are supposed to be quieter

I used to run Flowmaster Super 44s on all of my 4.0s, I liked the sound but have since switched to Magnaflows and I think they sound lots better. They deepen the tone but don't cackle near as much as a Flowmaster. Magnaflows cases also seem to last longer than some of the Flowmasters (painted). Just my $.02.
-Collin

Rob, I've got the Magnaflow cat-back on it, if you can wait around for the rebates they come out ridiculously cheap. Then I did the apn header and cat last summer. The only stock part left of my exhaust is the down tube and flex pipe, both factory stainless pieces. I'd say that it's all served me very well for the winter crap we both see.

Back