• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Question

Jeep_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of changing my stock exhaust for something a little different, I was thinking of putting in a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler on after the cat and just putting on a turn down pipe after it. The exhaust system would end before the rear axle and just turn down. What differences will these make over stock? Will I get better gas mileage/power? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Louder, more dangerous since you have a fuel tank right behind your exhaust exit, fumes for you and your passengers to enjoy, not legal in most states and just plan dumb IMO...

Buy a real catback and a good header. Do it right or don't bother...

Maybe. If I were you I would buy the walker dynomax tailpipe since it is larger than stock.

I like my Borla header/downpipe, 2.5"high flow cat, 2.5" Flowmaster 40 series muffler and 2.5" tailpipe. That combined with the step being removed out of my throttle body and a K&N filter definately helped power and has increased my fuel economy 1-2 mpg.

Removing the step out of the throttle body is the best mod. It eliminated the hunting between 3rd and OD on hills and allows much better throttle response at light throttle openings. It allows for more air flow/power at both low and full throttle positions. I did it myself in about 40 minutes.

Jeep_XJ said:
What about putting in the cherry bomb, and an extension pipe to the stock tailpipe? What difference would that make?
i had that setup in mine, wasnt much louder than stock and not much of a power increase, went to flowmaster 50, sounds really nice, and did notice a decent power increase

TNT said:
Removing the step out of the throttle body is the best mod. It eliminated the hunting between 3rd and OD on hills and allows much better throttle response at light throttle openings. It allows for more air flow/power at both low and full throttle positions. I did it myself in about 40 minutes.

:dunno: What is the step in the throttle body? Is there a write up somewhere? I love free mods to increase power.

whompinxj said:
:dunno: What is the step in the throttle body? Is there a write up somewhere? I love free mods to increase power.

Here you go

GoJeep's How to TB boring

Make sure you check out the rest of his site

GoJeep

Here's another good source of misc XJ technical info

MadXJ

Cherry bomb will be loud as hell, wich I'm sure you already know but if that's what your going for just do it. If you wantsomething that is louder outside but keeps the cab noise down you'll want the delta series flowmsters, if you want the best you can buy it will be Borla. just keep the tip out from underneath the jeep, you realy don't want those fumes building up under there when your in traffic. As for milage, only 1-2 mpg is what to expect. TNT has it all covered I just wanted to add my .02

Back