• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

English Bull Dog... what did I get myself into?

Shorty

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Just put a deposit on one -- what to expect?????

spot1.jpg

Last edited:
I want one of those dogs, but at this point I can't justify the money, they are running 1800 around here. I have had a few neighbors that had them and loved them.

They snore and drool a bit while sleeping, at least my neighbor's did.

I've heard that they overheat very easily, which is why if you are watching a Georgia football game, they have the dog sitting on a bunch of bags of ice. Besides that, I think they are extremely lazy and don't do much of anything...

make sure you keep up on the training, they are really hard to break bad habits once they start. we have a couple at my work and they are crazy. keep a good eye on him/her and you should have a very loyal, incredibly funny dog.

"Uga travels in an air conditioned dog house and sits on bags of ice at games, as the breed is susceptible to heat stroke (a problem in the humid southeastern United States)."

One of my daughters has one, two words "dog farts". Had some issues with dermatitis (thought it was mange at first it was so bad) and has gastro intestinal issues, a special diet seemed to help both issues. Dog slobbers on everything, but is really an affectionate beast.
He doesn't do well on stairs and doesn't even try anymore. He just sits there and whines until somebody picks him up and carries him up the stairs.

Looks like it needs to be de-clawed.

A dog like that needs two names, first and last name. Mae Bee? My youngest Jack Russel is named Lily Hammer.

One of my daughters has one, two words "dog farts". Had some issues with dermatitis (thought it was mange at first it was so bad) and has gastro intestinal issues, a special diet seemed to help both issues. Dog slobbers on everything, but is really an affectionate beast.
He doesn't do well on stairs and doesn't even try anymore. He just sits there and whines until somebody picks him up and carries him up the stairs.

My Wife's ShihTzu did that, but going down instead of up, he could do up. Then we moved into a 2 story town home and he learned to do stairs.

My MIL has four of those.
She spends on average $400.00 to $500.00 per month on vet bills for various medical conditions they are susceptible to.
I am sure Lar will pipe in soon.....

A friend of mine has one of them, USMC, so of course the dog's name is Gunny. Its a great dog, farts a lot if you feed it table scraps. The dog is great with his 2 year old son.
A few years ago I was working for him and he sent me to pick up some tools from his house. I walked right in, got the tools and left and the dog just looked at me. For about a year after that the dog always barked at me whenever the owners were around. Maybe he's just a showoff.

Not sure if they all do it, but my neighbor had one that chewed on nearly everything. He was kept in the garage during the daytime when no one was in the house and chewed up thousands of dollars worth of golf balls, gold clubs, and other misc materials. He was also a tank to walk (more like he walked you). Very sweet, very stupid.

bailey.jpg

We just got one a few weeks ago. She's half Boxer, half Old English Bulldog.

We looked at purebred English Bulldogs, but couldn't justify the money (They're $1,500-$3,000 around here!)... we only paid $500 since she's mixed.

She's a stubborn little bitch. And she definitely has the energy level of the Boxer!

The health problems really scared us away from a purebred also (eyes, hips, overheating, breathing, etc, etc)... hopefully we'll escape most of them with the Boxer part of her.

Good luck!
Billy

My mom's four dogs have had numerous health issues. she doesn't seem to mind but it's not something I want to deal with. They are prone to skin infections, eye infections, she even had to have the tails cut off of two of them because they curled down over their butt and they couldn't poo.

My mom's four dogs have had numerous health issues. she doesn't seem to mind but it's not something I want to deal with. They are prone to skin infections, eye infections, she even had to have the tails cut off of two of them because they curled down over their butt and they couldn't poo.
On a good point, there was no doggy doo to pick up outside.
You just need to know where to look for the good news....

Back