• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Light, Gas Cap?

MelloYello

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have checked the tech section and not found much. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. My engine light comes on when my tank get around half way full. I took it to a mechanic and read the error code to be something with the gas cap? He cleared the code, I bought a new gas cap and still get the same thing. This has happened 4 times now, The jeep runs great and all fluids are full. Any Ideas for thing to check? 2001 XJ, 87k miles, 31" tires, Air intake, Automatic, all else is stock. Thanks.

: ) That would help. I will see if my machanic will share that info with me.

You will likely find it useful to purchase your own OBD-II scanner - particularly since a decent one will work with pretty much any OBD-II vehicle (unlike OBD-I, where manufacturers were allowed to set their own standards for the whole wretched system.)

The "fuel filler cap" trouble code (yep - it's helpful to know which one you're actually getting - this is why I suggest dropping $60-100 on your own reader...) is generally a catch-all for an evapourative emissions fault somewhere in the fuel tank area. It could also be the fill hose from the fill port to the fuel tank (it's a large-diameter segment of elastomer hose,) it could even be the access plate on the front of the tank is just starting to leak - not enough to let fuel out, but enough to let fuel vapour out. This would be considered an "evapourative emissions fault". And, since most XJ's seem to have the access plate on the upper front of the fuel tank, a vapour leak there would start somewhere between 1/2-2/3 full...

But, when you're trying to get help diagnosing an OBD trouble code, here's what it's helpful for all of us to know:
- The specific code being thrown (OBD-I will be a two-digit numerical code. OBD-II codes take the form of a letter, zero or one, and three numerical digits. The letter indicates the general system, "zero or one" - zero is an SAE standard code, while one is a vendor specific code - and the three digits will give the specific system and fault.)
- The model year, engine, transmission, and powertrain options (Any pertinent mods like oversize tyres and gearing changes can also be useful - but you covered that rather well. Mileage on the clock is also a useful datum in many cases - and you did provide that.)
- If you have noted any other symptoms in operation.
- If you have done any visual inspections of any systems - what did you find?

Since we can't see your rig, we have to depend on you to be our eyes (and ears!) We're perfectly willing to help you learn and repair, but it does take some information for us to do so...

Thanks Frank. I did not know auto stores would/could do that for free.
Okay - the code is P0456. The dude at Checkers said it was a gas cap, so, since I bought the other gas cap from them, I got a new one for free (different brand) The XJ runs strong otherwise. I think I will get a code reader for the future.
Do you think that code is a gas cap?

p0456 A small leak has been detected in the evaporative system.

I'd look at the lines on the Evap Cannister and at the Evap Can. Purge Valve.

Concur - also check the clamps for the fuel filler hose (the hose itself is probably find, since it's a "small" leak.)

There may also be a vapour recovery hose parallel to the filler hose from the fuel fill port - check that out as well. It should be a more common size of fuel line, and will therefore be easier to source locally.

You do not put gas in your jeep with the engine running, do you?

I really should listen to my First Commandment more often - "Thou Shalt Never Assume, for to Assume is to Make an Ass of U and ME."

But, is there really anywhere in the country left where one can get away with doing that? I'd be surprised if there were...

I see people who do it... and I always give them dirty looks.. I also give looks to those who sit in their cars while pumping gas.

I see people who do it... and I always give them dirty looks.. I also give looks to those who sit in their cars while pumping gas.

Given your avatar, I can understand that.

Of course, I usually go "Hey!" and point at the sign that sez to turn engines off. I tend to be a bit more direct - even if it does get people cranked off at me.

I don't sit in the vehicle when I'm filling - it's a pain to wash the windows or check fluids from the driver's seat, y'know...

I will check those things mentioned. This has been a great help. Thank you!
I will let you know if I find anything.

oh - i do not fill up with the engine running. :confused1

Do you ever smell gas fumes?

I had this error once and it was the o-ring around the sending unit (it attaches to the fuel pump on the tank).

I did replace the gas cap and it did work for about a month (6 full tanks). Last week the light came on again, It was the same P0456 code. I dono? I am not a mechanic or can afford one to hunt out the problem for hours. The jeep runs fine and I don't get any fumes. I am going to just drive it. If you find something more specific, please let me know.

Oh, also, upon visual inspection, The fill hose and gas line hoses, clamps all look good to my untrained eye. Not sure if there is a way to "test" for vapor leak? Maybe light a match? Just Kidding!

Sure, just close the canister vent valve and pressurize the system (2psi is all that's needed) with a smoke machine, look for smoke and there's the leak. Cracked/ broken evap hoses, fuel pump o-ring, leaky purge solenoid are all possibilities.

Back