• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine building help, non-jeep

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering, I was getting ready to go through the engine in my 77 f250. I decided after alot of research to keep the 400. I know they can be made into torque monsters, and I don't need more than they are capable of so I don't see the need to spend the extra cash to swap in a 429 or 460. I thought I would use the Lunati vodoo dual pattern cam, 256/262 advertised duration, 5.24/5.40 lift, 112 degree lobe separation. Pistons are hard to come by, unless I have my rods re-bushed to fit the 351c pistons, but I found these Badger pistons with an advertised 9.0/1 compression ratio. If I remember correctly the compression height is 1.630 inches, which will leave them a little far down the bore, with a quench height of approx. .060. This is a truck motor, shooting for low and midrange gains, couldn't care less how it performs over 5000rpm. I am going to do a home port and polish on the stock heads, which are open chamber 76cc ish with a 2.07/1.98 valve spec. I plan to run the cam 4 degrees advanced. I will bore .030 to freshen up clearances. I have an Offenhauser dual port intake I got from a swap meet and an edelbrock 600 carb. I will probably re-curve the distributor for 38 degrees total mechanical advance and I will max it at about 2500 rpm. 1.73 ratio roller tip rockers will top it off. My question is with my specs and intended use (towing, light off roading, playing with bowties) will this quench hurt me? does the cam seem good for this range? is there anything I am missing?

Back