• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Edelbrock head ported

You can do the same thing with a jtec and the only sensor you really need is a battery temp sensor. What is nice about running stock parts is you have the reliability and availability of a factory ECU. Let say I brick my ecu, I can go grab one out of the junkyard for ~$40 and be up and running after a quick reflash. Plus they are cheap enough to have a spare or two sitting around just in case.

I've been meaning to ask you actually... Is there an open source software out there by chance, or would I need to send you my ECU to get flashed? I would love to get rid of my piggy back setup for the simplicity, as well as the ability to be more precise with the tuning.

I've been meaning to ask you actually... Is there an open source software out there by chance, or would I need to send you my ECU to get flashed? I would love to get rid of my piggy back setup for the simplicity, as well as the ability to be more precise with the tuning.

My question exactly. Who does the flashing? Me, or someone else?

For JTEC/OBD2 highly recommend Ryan Hogan. Chris Jensen is also another option.

Personal experience with Ryan has been great. Chris not so much.

Robert, you out there ? I know you have been talking to Mike Johnson, Ryan, Russ and Jensen.

[email protected]

For JTEC/OBD2 highly recommend Ryan Hogan. Chris Jensen is also another option.

Personal experience with Ryan has been great. Chris not so much.

Robert, you out there ? I know you have been talking to Mike Johnson, Ryan, Russ and Jensen.

[email protected]

Well I have a dyno avail locally and think I will just try Chris and real time tuning on a dyno. I have heard good things about both.

Russ, sorry to hijack your thread with the engine management talk. Did you get the head installed yet? Would like to know your before and after impression.

Edelbrock head is installed with Harland Sharp roller rocker arms.

IMG_2202.jpg

Stroker gets a matching intake.

IMG_2203.jpg

Stroker done and ready for pick up. Robert will grab it in the morning and start the install.
We should be getting good feedback from Robert. He's owned and driven a wide variety
of street, trail, and competition Jeeps. His perspective will be valuable.

IMG_2205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a ho edelbrock header if y'all want it for this project. Original gasket in the package, it looks dirty but it just has clay baked on. No cracks or dents. Less than 5000 miles

I have a ho edelbrock header if y'all want it for this project. Original gasket in the package, it looks dirty but it just has clay baked on. No cracks or dents. Less than 5000 miles

It isn't clay. It's redneck ceramic coating. ;)

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Ok so.. I already typed all this out for another forum feed back, here it is...
Now on to my pre/post dyno report.

32RH SUCKS on a dyno. No way to make a full pull and chest pounding results. No way to hold it in 2 or especially 3rd. Sure you can hold the 35mph that the dyno loads up to in 3rd at like 20% throttle. Then when its is go time and you try to pull, you have to modulate how much throttle you give it or it down shifts and then it really just goes out the winder. Or you can try to find the happy spot just before it down shifts, but then your not getting even close to Max HP #'s.

SO I used the time for what it really was for and that was for Chris to do some load test and mapping and get fuel and timing better/right.

When I first installed this pretty thing I had HIGH expectations. I was extremely disappointed. Feel less than stock in power. Well it just needed alot of little "tweaks" evidently.

Started with new O2 just cause. Seemed to help a tad bit.
Tried to move dist/cam sensor over one tooth each way to see if that was the issue, nada.
Then found that one plug wire was arcing out and figured just new wires and plugs. Bought the rc12Lyc projected tip (stock basically) plugs. Pulled out White as white can be plugs and installed the new longer tip and good new set of wires. This was significant improvement.
But, still lugged and bogged and would not down shit in to 1st. Adjusted the trans detent cable. This was the single most impact-full thing, besides tuning on dyno. Now it was drive-able without mentally just thinking lets pull this out and LS swap it.
At this point I was now about double the power It felt like then when I first drove it 2 days prior with the new 4.7.
Then I had one of my 3 mufflers removed. I had/have, 2.25 all manderal bent tube with 2 tiny lil (like 4x6x4) spintech true track race type mufflers and a 10" glass pack, as well as a magnaflow CA legal high flow cat. Hard to explain, but if you have a TJ imagine a rear triangulated susp setup and nice over sized belly skid. And my prime concern when I had it done, was for quiet and compact. SO I had the one glasspack removed from the rear most position to open it up a bit. It got louder and sounds alot like an older SBC in say a chevelle or such. But, again picked up a tad more power I think.
Then since it would run lean(15.2-15.4) at idle with a long term fuel trim of -14 to -17, and then Very fat at WOT in the low 11's), I bought a set of FiveO 24.5lbs inj. Just incase my 30lbs were just too much.

Went to dyno last night. As mentioned above, no way to do real pulls. Just pieces here and there it seemed. I think the highest it reached was like 120HP and 201tq on different occasions and the majority of the graphs were so up down and one even went around in a circle almost. SO I dont think the HP ever even got close to max, and I doubt th etorque was maxed either, but Everything I read on the 32RH TJ and larger tires etc. The typical loos is about 35-40%. SO if the 201tq was maxed even then I would be sitting about 280TQ, and it was almost perfectly flat from 2k up to like 5200. SO I am sure it has more TQ even. But this is all guessing.

Chris flashed a few times after doing some partial pulls here and there. I was lost mostly as to what he was really doing.

But after about 3 hours, we wrapped it up. On my way to MOTOIQ to use their Dyno about 40 miles away, it drove ok. As chris first said when he was just reving, it to cal the dyno engine speed, it just didnt seem like it wanted to rev, it was rough. On my way home, it was a whole other creature. Very responsive now. It does want to rev now, I feel. The A/F were in the high 14's cruising on the Fwy. And the few times on the way home I WOT'd, it was high 12's maybe 13.1. Much better. It has more power still again.

The MPG registered at 14.9 for my 40mile drive home. The long term fuel trim was only at -2.5 to -3.

I feel this engine now has the power of my race jeep that had also a russ built engine, but the fully worked over iron head and I think more comp, but over a point more, but cant say for sure. I also had the AW4 with lower first, 5.38 gears and a 35" tire. SO if this is on par with that engine now, as I really think it is. I am very happy. And the rings still might seat in a tad bit more. Only maybe 300-400 miles on it as of now.

What I like:
Very flat power "curve"
Idles very nice
Should be very smog legal, as everything is CARB legal (maybe cam tech. is not, but thats niether here nor there).
Decent gas mileage
Trans is very nice as a street driver, shifts at perfect RPM now and downshifts perfectly I feel. Will add a transgo kit soon though.
Bling parts, matters when you went from race jeep to family jeep lol.

What I dont like so much:
How loud it is now. Not very bad but not my quiet lil 4.0 thats for sure.
Cant spin the tires (but 4.11 gears and 35's on an auto).
How mild the cam is I THINK. Maybe this is for the better though. I run 17-18in vac at idle, get 15MPG, and idle purrs.
The 3 sp trans, but not willing at this point to AW4 swap it. maybe next year.

Would I do it all over with the Engine and head I have, maybe not. The extra cost of the head I dont think is justified if you have the 7120 option from Russ also avail at I would guess $1000 less. Maybe if you are building a track style engine, but its still Just a 4.0 block with long weak cam stick.

Would I recommend Tuning. HIGHLY! I cant do what Chris or I guess any one with the right knowledge and equipment can. And I did Not feel comfortable with the fuel in the 11's at WOT (washes the cyl bad and bad for O2 etc), and then daily driving and semi loads on engine were in the 14.8-15's. Not to mention the drive-ability and smooth rev's now. And I am sure the timing he added had to have helped.

Sorry about the long post. but just hope to get all the info, facts, and my opinion in there. :D

PM sent.

Increasing airflow in a engine is critical in making more power.
It's much like running up a flight of stairs with asthma with any sense of efficiency.

Lets try to put this in more perspective and make come comparisons.
Many of you might be familiar of making a stroker out of a 350 Chevy.
Much like dropping in a 258 crankshaft in one of our 4.0's to make a 4.6 or 4.7,
Chevy's version of this is very similar. Drop in a 400 stroke crank to 350 block bored
.030 over you get 383 cubic inches.

Now lets take a fresh look at our 4.6 stroker. Each one of cylinders is measuring about
47 cubic inches. If we wanted to make a rough comparison to our Chevy 383 stroker we would add two more cylinders at the value of 47 C.I. each and we would have a engine that measures 376 cubic inches, not far off from our 383 Chevy engine.

My point in all of this is if we want our Jeep strokers to make more power, we need to
cure the asthma

Like Russ said, 'cure the asthma'.

We all know there is a specific ratio of air to fuel for optimum power, and for a given rpm, and for a given cam lift, it takes X amount of fuel to blend with Y amount of air to go boom & make power, so let's call power Z.

I'll use round numbers, but you get the point.

Now, if your head can only supply 75% of the air needed at rpm for a given lift, then you will only get 75% of the potential power, regardless if the fuel is there or not.

The benefit of a ported head, is now, it can supply all of the air needed to blend with the fuel at rpm so you get 100% of the potential power available.

I say this, because often times, simply porting the head(s) on an engine will make it feel like you also changed the cam because at the higher rpm levels, the head can now more easily supply the air needed, instead of choking power off, and you may even get to the point that fuel becomes the limiting factor, and not airflow.

At higher RPM usually an engine starts getting rich on the fuel-air ratio, and this is because airflow is limiting power. Give it more airflow, and the ratio goes back to optimal, and more power is made for the same cam lift.

So, just because you port the head doesn't necessarily mean you need to go to the biggest cam you can find.

Make sure you can efficiently use the available airflow before you spend more money on something that may or may not make a difference that's worth the cost.

any updates on this head ? just curious.

X2 and what about pistons with dishes that match the CC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back