• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Edelbrock aluminum head in the works

This might be a kinda stupid question, but how exactly would I get this head to work on my 2000 with precats?

The port location is for 91-98 heads. Of course I could get a 91-98 header, but those are long with no room for the precats. Would be great not to have them, but seems like more trouble than it's worth especially since I'm relocating to California.

Seems like a dumb decision by Edelbrock, because every 4.0L after 2000 has precats. Are they just forgetting about us?

Last edited:
The stock exhaust manifolds will not work on anything but the 0331 head.
With a set of aftermarket headers, you can use the new head and the mini-cats.
The Banks header, for the 2000-2001 XJs, fits the 0331, 7120, 0630 heads. The gasket from Banks header is the same for all three heads.
I noticed this when I installed a Banks header on my 2001. The header inlet was bigger than the exhaust ports. Then I tried the gasket on a 7120 head and it fit fine too.

The stock exhaust manifolds will not work on anything but the 0331 head.
With a set of aftermarket headers, you can use the new head and the mini-cats.

x2. You will need an aftermarket header.

Good to know, thanks guys. I actually just purchased Borla headers so hopefully those will work. I guess there's no way of knowing until I see them though.

Those published numbers don`t mean a whole lot. Even Edlebrock has a page that tries to dispute airflow numbers. Too many variables.

Why didn`t Edlebrock publish CI numbers as a comparison ?

Same goes with there dyno reports.

yeah I was going to bring up a Dyno report. SO many test facility variables that can change the numbers. A comparison of A to B on the same bench or dyno is where its at.

Those published numbers don`t mean a whole lot. Even Edlebrock has a page that tries to dispute airflow numbers. Too many variables.

Why didn`t Edlebrock publish CI numbers as a comparison ?

Same goes with there dyno reports.

I agree. The head flow and dyno numbers published by Edelbrock don't mean squat. Edelbrock should have tested a stock 4.0L head using the same test procedure to make a proper comparison. The dyno graph doesn't state whether there were any other mods added, what type of dyno was used, nor what correction factor was used.

Russ's numbers should be pretty interesting though.

He's got numbers on stock heads, his ported and polished head, hesco's cnc iron head and hesco's aluminium head, all on the same bench and config that he'll have the Edlebrock tested on.

FWIW Russ's port and polish on a 7120 head was the best flowing out of that set.

Well I was told from russ that the numbers on my Edelbrock head, once he worked it over (I'll let him post picts) flowed best of any 4.0 head he has worked over. Said in stock form is was ok. But that it was a pita for him to grind seats due to material, but that it out flows any other 4.0 head he has flowed yet...

yup. i'm pretty sure he used the word 'disappointing' to its stock flow numbers, but post russification it woke the hell up.

i have some good photos of your head, and am swinging by his place this week to take some much better ones to post.

Russ, sent you a pm

RWKHausSupply,
glad to read that Russ was able to coax additional airflow. Very curious to see what the numbers are compared to one of his 7120`s.

Having said that.......Is the price of the casting+Russ`s magic+the fast burn chamber a cost/performance effective investment ?........:eyes: Lets not push the cost effective portion of that comment too hard :eyes:. :laugh: .......

To take full advantage of the flow are we looking at larger primary's/collector. How about the intake manifold itself ?

Hogan or Jensen can cal the ECM so I don`t see that as an issue. BBK has 70mm TB`s. A number of folks can grind up a cam.

What about this new Russ-fied head and us old guys that are only interested in bottom/mid range ? Are the flow numbers substantially increased a lower valve lifts ? IE a short duration but high lift cam that increases dynamic compression to a point where we need to back off static making things a wash.

Like to see some flow and dyno numbers. Maybe I`ll give Russ a call later today.......Hate to bug him on a weekend/holiday though. Russ, if you read this. Nothing going on around here. Give me a shout if you want.

Interested in this ported heads and see how it mates with a Sprintex supercharger.

It looks like "all forums" got quiet about this head almost before anyone had the possibility to buy one.
Have anyone bought this head? If so, it would be nice if you could share some info.
Thanks in advance!
Tor

Back