• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Box or Hydro Assist

shaggybob

NAXJA Forum User
I've read through all the threads in the tech section, and after doing that I have a lot of information and a lot of opinions but still no direction.

So i thought I would post this here and see what you guys and gals in the SEC have to say, especially considering I have met quite a few of you.

The options are limitless it seems but the end goal for the XJ is coming up soon and I plan to be on 35s by March. Everything is pretty much ready to go except for the steering box end. Full hydraulic is not an option because it's street driven.

Here are the options I'm looking at:

1. Hydro assist set up with rebuilt, drilled, and tapped XJ box

2. Durango box and no assist.

Both options will be getting an inner brace.

Opinions?

I vote for hydro assist. The problem with the Durango Box is that it does nothing to improve the angle the force is applied in due to the steering geometry. While not that big a problem with the stock inverted Y configuration, most steering upgrades put the attachment point for the drag link on the tie rod. When you drop the drivers side and compress the passenger side, the angle the force is applied gets quite large. I have bent several steering setups in that situation. By putting the ram horizontal and tied to the axle, it puts the force in the correct plane.

While the Durango box is larger and has a lower ratio, it really isn't going to help that much...

Hydro assist makes 38's sitting still feel like 28's going 80 mph. The only downside to Hydor assit is speed... if you go with hydro you will need to upgrade your pump for more volume so that you can still steer quickly if needed.

man i can not emphasize enough on how hydro assist changed the way my XJ handled on road and drove off road at slow speeds... i went the route of tapping my own box which is well documented here on naxja and pirate - shoot if i had known i would have paid old_man to rebuild and port my box!

then getting the addition components was simple: I went with a PSC 7 inch ram which was on my 30 and now going to a 44 3/4 ton with 38's... the kit came with hoses and all i needed was to get some swivel hydro fittings and put an inline cooler... at the same time i went with the gen right pulley and my steering is out of this world compared to my previous setups... do it once right and never go back plus it is like a steering stabilizer on steroids and really helped my tracking down the road as well as bump absorbsion

you can do it on the cheap with outsourcing parts individually or get a kit like PSC or trail gear for just a little more

if you have 35's or bigger then go for it - if not then invest in a good aftermarket like currie, etc

I was leaning towards hydro anyway, so looks like that's the way I'll go. Hoses aren't a problem, as I can go to my dads work and make them.

For that matter I might be able to score the ram for them too if they have something small enough. They build saw mills from scratch and I don't remember from when I worked there 20 years ago if they had rams that small.

Any thoughts on the redneck ram from west texas offroad?

For 35's hydro assist will be nice but not a necessity... I ran a YJ Box and was happy with it....

the West Texas offroad product is a nice package.. my cousin had it on his old YJ. As a matter of fact I can probably get you a full West Texas setup (YJ 4-bolt box), ram, lines, etc.....

Let me know if you're interested and i'll see what he'll sell it for.

Chris
progress.gif

Why would you go with either? Are you runnign a D44 front? Or is it the D30? Is it the factory steering or something different? Personally with 35's and a front D30 I would run it as is with a brace on the box to start.

Why would you go with either? Are you runnign a D44 front? Or is it the D30? Is it the factory steering or something different? Personally with 35's and a front D30 I would run it as is with a brace on the box to start.

Right now I'm on 33's, and factory steering linkage has been on there in well over a year. Running the Rock Krawler X Factor Plus steering now.

Even with the 33's it's a bear to turn when aired down on the trail. I've found myself popping in to neutral and giving the engine some revs just to turn the wheels while crawling.

It could just be that the steering box and pump are worn out, they've only got 215,000 miles on them.

I'm sticking with the D30 up front since I'm stopping at 35's, but it has been upgraded to alloy shafts.

My thought with going hydro assist is to reduce potential stress on the unibody, even though I plan on installing a brace. The plan for 35's also includes beadlocks so I can run less air than I currently do while on the trail, and I know that less air will increase turning resistance.

Maybe stock stuff that isn't worn the hell out is acceptable?

Right now I'm on 33's, and factory steering linkage has been on there in well over a year. Running the Rock Krawler X Factor Plus steering now.

Even with the 33's it's a bear to turn when aired down on the trail. I've found myself popping in to neutral and giving the engine some revs just to turn the wheels while crawling.

It could just be that the steering box and pump are worn out, they've only got 215,000 miles on them.

I'm sticking with the D30 up front since I'm stopping at 35's, but it has been upgraded to alloy shafts.

My thought with going hydro assist is to reduce potential stress on the unibody, even though I plan on installing a brace. The plan for 35's also includes beadlocks so I can run less air than I currently do while on the trail, and I know that less air will increase turning resistance.

Maybe stock stuff that isn't worn the hell out is acceptable?

When I had the 33's it turned easy back in the day. I'd check that box and or pump first. I'm not sure I follow you on the x factor stuff. Is that the suspensioni kit or do they have a steering kit too?

Glenn, he has just the Steering kit. His lift is 6.5 with drop brackets and some of andy's arms. Were you locked in the front when you had your 33's?

I know with the willys I could steer fine if I was moving, but stopped it was hard to steer, even with that big ass Willys steering wheel HAHA! Even when it was on 35s...

For Just 33's I'd say hydro is slightly overkill, but I'd say its a nice feature for 35's with a locker and hardcore wheeling.

For 35's hydro assist will be nice but not a necessity... I ran a YJ Box and was happy with it....

the West Texas offroad product is a nice package.. my cousin had it on his old YJ. As a matter of fact I can probably get you a full West Texas setup (YJ 4-bolt box), ram, lines, etc.....

Let me know if you're interested and i'll see what he'll sell it for.

Chris
progress.gif

I'd be interested.

Glenn, he has just the Steering kit. His lift is 6.5 with drop brackets and some of andy's arms. Were you locked in the front when you had your 33's?

I know with the willys I could steer fine if I was moving, but stopped it was hard to steer, even with that big ass Willys steering wheel HAHA! Even when it was on 35s...

For Just 33's I'd say hydro is slightly overkill, but I'd say its a nice feature for 35's with a locker and hardcore wheeling.

Yes I was locked with the 33's. I was locked with my 36's and never had a problem with steering. It was not easy but it was not hard at all.

Yes I was locked with the 33's. I was locked with my 36's and never had a problem with steering. It was not easy but it was not hard at all.

Probably like everything, and I mean everything else on my jeep was when I got it last year, the steering gear and pump are worn out.

Probably still going hydro assist. If nothing else maybe I can move rocks out of my way with the steering.

I am locked now on 32s and unless I was moving, the steering wouldn't budge in the rocks. I haven't checked my fluid level, the pump, or the gearbox yet though.....
Before the locker, no issues IIRC.

I am intested in going hydro assist in the future as well. We shall see.

I'm with Glenn... it'll be nice to have... BUT, when I was running 37" Treps on 17" beadlocks I just ran a YJ box and it was fine... IT crawled well but I also didnt really try to turn the wheel in rocks while sitting completely still very often.. I mean as long as you're moving even a little bit it should be fine.

I think it is going to boil down to what you want to deal with, the durango or yj box, or the hydro assist.
That's why I love this site, people have all tried different things, and people have had different experiences with different setups. I like these opinions, and I think I am getting a better grip on this steering stuff too....

Not hijacking the thread, but is the RK steering OTK shaggy????

what about using a durango box with a wj pump?

ive got hydro assist, the only recommendation i have is match up everything you get. going slow mine does fine, but i dont take mine over 40 mph...it gets quite twitchy and is very sensitive.

Back