• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DRY High Flow Air Filter/Intake.

Ozzilla

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to replace the stock air filter and housing on my 1999 XJ (4.0 L, AT, Selec-Trac) with an aftermarket high flow system. More HP, more Torque, and better MPG.

The key is that I want a DRY (no oil) system. So far I have found only two: Brute Force by AEM and the aFe Stage 2 Dry Flow System.

Please give me feedback on these systems. Are they worth $200-$250?
:dunno:

Thanks,
Barry

Last edited:
probally not. all they really do is make a cool WHOOOSH noise when you floor it. i made a bootyfab intake with a cone filter, and my butt dyno says no more power from it.
it might be worth it if you're loaded with cash, otherwise look here
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/mods.html
theres a good homemade on on this guys site

yeah...i'm runnin a peice of plastic PVC in the rubber tube right now with 2 layers of panty hose for a filter.

but what can i say.

get the most bang for your buck... if you dont have a buck, McGyver it!!

Ozzilla said:
I am looking to replace the stock air filter and housing on my 1999 XJ (4.0 L, AT, Selec-Trac) with an aftermarket high flow system. More HP, more Torque, and better MPG.

The key is that I want a DRY (no oil) system. So far I have found only two: Brute Force by AEM and the aFe Stage 2 Dry Flow System.

Please give me feedback on these systems. Are they worth $200-$250?
:dunno:

Thanks,
Barry
I used to have an AEM dryflow filter, but went back to airaid after repeatedly finding very fine dust in the intake tube and in the throttle body. No dirt at all with the airaid.

wingnutooa said:
yeah...i'm runnin a peice of plastic PVC in the rubber tube right now with 2 layers of panty hose for a filter.

but what can i say.

get the most bang for your buck... if you dont have a buck, McGyver it!!

Are you serious that the only air filter your jeep has is pantyhose???

jeepinwi said:
Are you serious that the only air filter your jeep has is pantyhose???

some guys with big turbo's use a metal screen and pantyhose over the inlet. ghetto, but effective, especially when there's not enough room to properly plumb a filter.

the info I can find about teh AFE says not for ABS models. Is there a workaround?

I'm eventually gonna swap my k/n cone out for an amsoil dry cone. Check it out--the nano-fiber tech flows more oxygen particles while trapping more dirt particles than other medium filters.

PGT FTW said:
the info I can find about teh AFE says not for ABS models. Is there a workaround?

i don't think so. i looked into that, but went with the k&n fipk because the afe routing runs the intake tube right into the abs pump/valve mess.

My experience with AEM dryflow was the exact opposite of Corbinafly. My dryflow has been on for nearly two years and the intake tubing would breeze through a white glove test. I litterally can not wipe up anything at all off the walls of the tubing. It's way cleaner than the oiled Airaid I had before. This is daily driven with a mile of gravel per day in addition to wheeling. Just my personal experience.

For anyone who couldn't tell the different between stock and cold air... a cone filter in place of your stock air box is as far from cold air as you will get. It's litterally the hottest area of the engine bay.
You are better off with the paper filter and the air box. The average 60* increase in hot air induction you'll get from having your filter dangle there will very nicely cancel out the higher flow of the filter.

Think about it, a 5 to 10 hp gain from a K&N versus 6% power loss from the 60* degrees (about 8 -10 horse power).

Sorry to bring up an old post, but:
Has anyone considered swapping in a ZJ air box? With a little chopping, you could insulate the thing and open up the intake, plumb it to the cowl area. Colder air, readily available and high flow DRY filters.
Only trick would be getting the ZJ box into the stock location, but I think there is enough space. Next week I'm heading to the junkyard to find out. Hell, maybe Monday if I get bored.

You could always save money an make your own cold air intake. only thing that sucks is when smog time comes around you have to put the old stuff on.

Last edited:
I like the separation of the ccv from the intake--no oil is ever gonna get in accidentally.

Still wont i thought because it has to have that stupid sticker that comes whith all the intakes.That say somethin about ca legal or some crap. I think? Hey where in fremont you live? Me an spudly both live near lincoln elementry school in newark.

Last edited:
Back