• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drone at 75+ MPH

winterbeater

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 with 109K miles runs good and doesn't seem to have any problems, but a slight drone/roughness sets up around 75MPH and stays the same at higher speeds. I hesitate to even call it a vibration because the mirror doesn't even shake. The steering wheel doesn't shake either. I know that this can be normal with some vehicles. My tires are still normal highway type with auto trans and part-time 4WD. Do other XK's do this? This vehicle is new to me and I want to take it on an extended trip soon.

Check the normal stuff. I was looking at all of the TSBs for my 97. There is one for what you are describing, mine does it too. Basically the factory would put a small t/case drop on and a new driveshaft with a damper built in. I think the 97+ are more prone to vibes especially if lifted. This TSB indicates it may be a slight problem for even stock heights. Mine starts about 60mph and by 70 is pretty annoying.

Back