• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft u-joint strap bolts

bigalpha

I've seen some discussion about replacing these with a bolt that has a more standard head size (1/2"?). Is this something that I should do to get rid of the current sized bolts?

images.ashx

Yes. Even your local carquest will heve them.

I was being more facetious than anything. I had looked into this but wasn't sure if it was one of those things you should just do so you don't look like a shmuck stranded somewhere.

Although, it looks like the verdict was mixed on the fitment for the D30, which is the DS I'm working on.

don't do it! The ubolt yoke and the strap yoke are sliiightly different dimensions. Putting u-bolts onto a strap yoke squeezes the ujoint cap too deep into the cap and leads to bearing failure.

You can buy u-bolt yokes on ebay pretty cheap. For the most part all non JK dana 30 and dana 44 yokes are interchangeable.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll definitely look into this! I only am having to dick with all of this is because I developed the angry sparrows symptom after doing a bunch of front end work. Then, when attempting to pull the front DS, I found that the PO rounded off one of the bolts.

Quick question: my 92 D30 is a HP30 which uses shims and not a crush sleeve, right? This means I can just torque the new pinion nut down without any hassle?

Great, thanks. That simplifies my life significantly. Now to find a few donor candidates from the junk yard. Any suggestions?

CJs had D30s with u-bolts.
old Ford D44s had them but, not sure if the D44 yoke fits the D30.
Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Back