• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dont knwo where to post this. What tools and how stored for trail

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well I know what all HAND tools I would like to bring with me on the trail, but I know my space limits, of about a 13" long x 7" tall x 6" wide bag. I also have a spare parts enclosure for the larger items (Axles, rear shaft,C-Clamp, hammer, etc.).

I already have a nice set of Craftsman that are all in thier own box and has every metric and SAE size that one would ever need in both 6pt adn 12pt, for the at home work. So I dont want to go out and spend the $150 to what ever some are going to say Snap-on cost.

I would like to see/hear what others have done for their trail tool storage and such.

I am thinking harbor frieght (I know its HF crap right) but they have the really cheap and weak Pitsburg and then the cheap not very weak Pitsburg profession series. In the pro series they have a 3/8" & 1/2" set that each are on their own "tree" like holder and have all the typ SAE and Metric. But they only have 6pt. And we know that items like the Hub bolts and rear drive flanges (just to mention a few) are 12pt.

Is it that big of a hassle do you think to just keep "tubs"/little storage containers for each say metric and SAE in 3/8" and 1/2"?

Just looking for ideas that I am not thinking of or havent seen.

ALSO, good quality tools about SK price range in OC? Wheres good? Sears is the only place I really know of that has GOOD prices on tools. I have looked at like OC tools and mcfadden dale and whoa. Maybe I am just too cheap?

Last edited:
Hey Robert..

I have HF's socket, wrench, and screw driver sets for the trail. So far, they have held up.

I know it get's expensive having a second set of tools for the trail. It's soooo easy to lose sockets, wrenches, etc.. I sometimes forget who I lent tools to on the trail, which is another factor.. I hear you, it adds up..

All I need is for the Harbor Freight tools to hold up to ONE use while on the trail. Then I'll replace the tool before my next trail run..

I use soft tool bags since they can be squeezed and shoved into spots that a hard tool box won't fit into.. I like stacking them too because they form to each other..

Oh yeah, I have the "cheap not so weak" Pitsburg socket set.

Elias

You win the home tool contest!

I have a smaller tool box that holds the tools I actually use and not the extras from the garage. As I do work the needed pieces get added to the box; sockets, breaker bar, Vise Grips, screw drivers, Torx drivers, etc. I don't just put one of everything in "just in case". I've swapped springs, changed water pump, fuel pump, gauge cluster and rear hatch, added a PowerTrax limited slip (I keep the original spider gears in the Jeep) all using the few things in the box. Also in the box are disposable gloves, hand cleaner, duct tape, hose clamps, tie wraps, electrical wire and some spare nuts and bolts, sealers, scisors and a bit more.

I'm off to the junk yard shortly, so I'll just grab the tool box and go. I know some jobs are easier with the tools I leave at home (the floor jack and stands come to mind), but I can do what needs to be done with what I have.

I also have a bigger 50+ pound "trail ready" carrier I take when I will be away from home with big stuff; Air compressor, tire chains, disposable paint suit, rags, "come-a-long" lug nut spinner wrench, and a big piece of wood for the jack to stand on.

Mike

I use small($10-$14)tool bags from Lowes.
Like Elias said, the bags are easier to conform to the limited space. I run a ratchet strap through them to the tie downs. I use different color bags for standard, metric, general tools and the bottle jack.
Craftsman tools work for me.

I just like to sponge tools off the people I wheel with. That way I cut down the weight carried in my rig, as I don't carry a spare tire either. The downfall of this is that less people will want to wheel with you, potentially leaving you to wheel by yourself and having to carry tools and a spare. GL. :cheers:

I have thought about just buying those tool kits that come in their handy little slim cases but Im all about being prepared for the need of having more than one of the same wrench just in case...

djblade311 said:
I have thought about just buying those tool kits that come in their handy little slim cases but Im all about being prepared for the need of having more than one of the same wrench just in case...

Well most of the 'kits" I am looking at have vertually 2 of every size from like 7mm to 21mm and 9/32 up to like 1". then they have like 5 ea wrenchs of the smaller stuff and I would just need to bring the rool I have of evey basic metric and SAE size. Then of course the more special tools.

there are some nice less expensive husky tool sets at home depot that come in nice cases and included most of what you will need. Its what I have and since it was so easy to port around I bought a set for junk yard use too. I have the sockets and wrenches in the box and a bar to carry some of the other stuff i have found usefull both fit very well on top of my spare in the cargo area of the xj along with high lift and strap

Mike L said:
I just like to sponge tools off the people I wheel with. That way I cut down the weight carried in my rig, as I don't carry a spare tire either. The downfall of this is that less people will want to wheel with you, potentially leaving you to wheel by yourself and having to carry tools and a spare. GL. :cheers:

**Note to self, DO NOT wheel in front of or behind Mike L.**

:roflmao:

Elias
Eh-lee-us

2 craftsman tool bags

1 for sockets, ratchets, punches, chizzles
1 for everything esle

total weight - about 40lbs...

if i dont have it - someone else will :D

There are quite a few tools I carry that dont always come in a tool box kit. Extra long extensions, universal for 3/8 drive socket, 36mm socket, 1 1/8 socket. vice grips, very large channel locks, small pump for atf. Some kits dont have 15mm tools in them.

Those things come to mind off hand.

I use a Harbor Fake tool bag for most of it, and a milk crate for oils etc because its easy to tie down and see into.

KH

KH

Heres a list (I know you were asking for what carries it but it brought this to mind) We made this one day on SCXJ

7mm allen wrench (brake calipers)
36mm socket for front wheel hubs
large crescent wrench.
18 mm open end wrench (many tool kits only have 17 and 19 mm
15mm open end wrench (same problem with tool kits)
cotter pins
plug kit (tires)
valve stem puller
large brass hammer
super large screwdriver (to pry stuff)
A 2' pipe to go over your socket wrench as an extension.(high lift?)
small sledge hammer
6013 Welding rods and jumper cable.
A harbor freight portable battery starter (right Grant?!!!)
A multimeter.
12v diagnostic light, some spare wire, spare fuses.
Highlift jack - aside from jacking duties that handle works great as
a breaker bar, tie rod, theft deterant, etc.
Spare U-joints (part numbers?)
Spare d35 axle shafts
Zip ties, duct tape, bailing wire.
"pig pads" - to soak up any spills.
oil, p/s, brake fluid.
CPS
Tow strap, pin for the tow hitch.
Folding army shovel
Collapsable canvas bowl for the dog's water, along with dog food
9mm handgun
A couple gallons of water and a couple MREs
small tarp or old blanket for laying on ground.
Vice Grips
C Clamp(s)
Come along or at least a wratcheting tiedown strap
Magnet retrieval tool
Gloves
Dykes (diagonal cutters)
Strippers (not the pole dancers)
Pocket knife
Flashlight
Water Pump

Dude, bring as few as absolutely possible, the lighter your rig, the better its gonna wheel..

Leave all that heavy stuf back at camp, someone can go back and get it if needed..

I bring a set of Metwrench's (combo metric/sae wrenches) 2 crescent wrenches, 1 pair of vise grips, a 1/2" drive breaker bar (with 36mm hub socket), spare serp belt, fluids, safety seal, spare brakeline, winch recovery kit, front shafts, rear shafts, spare 1310 u-joint, CO2 tank

I leave all of the other stuff back at camp, If NO camp and just a day trip I will bring more stuff

I tried those metwrench things, man did they suck.

Yes, the list of crap is just a list to pick and choose from. Maybe even a list of stuff to leave back at camp, I personally would rather have it with me.

KH

vicegrips, ductape and JB Weld....yup thats about it.

Soap, just soap and plenty of it.

:D

sintax said:
vicegrips, ductape and JB Weld....yup thats about it.

Too be a true Jury Rigged Jalopy you need to include zip ties and a hammer.

i got one of those rubbermaid tubs, it fits in the rear with the seat up pretty tightly. and could be strapped down if nessasary.
im in the process of filling it with stuff that'll come in handy.... but what do i know

Back