• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this mean I have LSD?

CodyJames

NAXJA Forum User
Before I get corrected this is a one time deal..... for now. I normal baby it..... Unless there is mud.. Or a kid with a civic and a coffee can..... Well I still baby it with the civic. But does this mean I have LSD? I am sure it does but a guy I work with said it does not. I think he is wrong. If so. What kinda LSD is in it? How long will it last.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6cQPDqxZJk

Last edited:
Easiest way to tell is to look at the inside of your glove box door. on your year model There is a sticker in there advising of the presence of the Tracloc. It's a fairly weak lsd and they dont' typically last a long time. If you don't have the sticker it doesn't rule out the LSD, but it's a quick way to confirm. Physical tests should be performed to make sure if there is no sticker.

So this first answer, is Yes you do have a LSD of some kind. The dual rooster tails confirm that. You can also crawl underneath and look at any tags attached to the diff cover. You may find one that says you need to use a friction modifier. Goodburbon is right about the sticker in the glove box. However, sometimes the stickers and axle tags disappear after a while.

A working LSD is better than an open diff but not as good as a locker. A worn out LSD is no better than an open diff.

If you have the factory tow option, it came with the LSD. Do you have ABS? That will determine if you have a D35 or 8.25.

So this first answer, is Yes you do have a LSD of some kind. The dual rooster tails confirm that. You can also crawl underneath and look at any tags attached to the diff cover. You may find one that says you need to use a friction modifier. Goodburbon is right about the sticker in the glove box. However, sometimes the stickers and axle tags disappear after a while.

A working LSD is better than an open diff but not as good as a locker. A worn out LSD is no better than an open diff.

If you have the factory tow option, it came with the LSD. Do you have ABS? That will determine if you have a D35 or 8.25.

I have the 8.25 29 spline. It is extremely weak cause if I am in sand, I have to floor it before the other wheels starts in. I do mostly city driving so is there any super agressive LSD's out there? I dont want a detroit or tru-trac cause they scare me on snow and ice, and I cant afford OX or ARB

I have the 8.25 29 spline. It is extremely weak cause if I am in sand, I have to floor it before the other wheels starts in. I do mostly city driving so is there any super agressive LSD's out there? I dont want a detroit or tru-trac cause they scare me on snow and ice, and I cant afford OX or ARB

Your options are basically as follows:

- Rebuild the Trac-Lok you have in there now. There's been a lot written on this; searching here and Google are going to be helpful.

- Replace the Trac-Lok. I have no idea how much a new one would run from either the dealer or any of the online parts sources, but I'm guessing it'd be close to if not more than the cost of an actual locker. If you're farming the work out to a shop, the labour cost on installing an LSD is the same as installing a locker, so it would make sense to just save some cash up and put something more useful in there a little further down the road.

- Go to a selectable locker that is an LSD when unlocked. If you don't have the budget for an Ox or ARB (both of which are open when unlocked anyway), you likely won't be able to afford that either. ECTEDs are LSDs when unlocked, FWIW.

The fourth option is to remove it entirely and run fully-open, but even some grab is better than none. It's probably worth mentioning that the Trac-Lok was never a super-aggressive LSD to begin with, so it may well be that what you're seeing now isn't necessarily indicative of a worn-out LSD, but rather one that's operating at or at least close to spec.

I do mostly city driving so is there any super agressive LSD's out there? I dont want a detroit or tru-trac cause they scare me on snow and ice, and I cant afford OX or ARB

The Detroit TruTrac is an excellent LSD. It doesnt lock up suddenly, it just eases on, gently. Dont even know its there type deal. You said Detroit or trutrac so maybe there is another full locker by that name.

TruTrac is a Torsen diff, which is exactly what you want in the snow I believe. The way it works, the amount of resistance that the slipping wheel sees is multiplied, and the result is the amount of torque sent to the wheel that has grip. With an open diff, the slipping wheel's resistance is exactly the torque that gets to the other wheel. So a Torsen is like a super open diff.

Back