• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does size matter

Originally Posted by larsen
Honestly, I will be running 33s with "stock" gears just as soon as FedEx can get em here.
And you must be used to no having any power or it's downhill everwhere you go!

lol .. not exactly
100_2750.jpg

Figured something was up when I noted 'stock' was in scare quotes... :laugh2:

How's that d35 doing with a V8 in front of it and good tires behind it?

The 35 lives on. I try to avoid shock-loads. There's a rear 44 waiting to be installed and a front 44 to build next. Rear axle will probably happen this week. Front axle, probably in September sometime.

I did 33's on 355's with an auto, and I tell you what, at freeway speeds for close to an hour it cooked the heck out of my tranny oil, and it came spouting out of my tranny and made one heck of a mess under her. For wheelin in 4 lo, I didn't have much any problem with it tho.

I have the same problem on long trips.

I still have one running 33's and 3.55's waiting on me to get home to swap the 4.88's, but its not terrible I still pull 18MPG. Depends on the tire IMO, my Bias TSL's sucked with the stock gears, but my radial Coopers feel fine no different than the 31's I ran. I have correctly and overgeared vehicles my truck ran 4.88's and 33's the performance boost was cool, but not a huge difference. That only went from 4.10s to 4.88s though.
Are you going based on your odo or GPS? I sure wasn't getting 18mpg on 33s and 3.55s. I got 18 with 30s...

Can't wait to see it bite poor ring and pinion.

The 35 died suddenly last night about 2-hours after my last post (the irony!). Minding my own business doing 55 on the highway. There was a bang and the engine quit. Picked a pretty good spot, easy coast to a wide gore-strip at the next on-ramp! I'll post some pictures tomorrow, including the freshly installed 44. :wave1:

The last time I had a ring a pinion go out I was in a 2wd Ford Ranger running 65 down the hwy. There was no coasting to it. Tires went from 65 to 0 real quick. I slid with locked up tires for a good ways. BIG Flat spots on the tires and a seriously TRASHED ring and pinion.

I did 31 on stock gears and hated it... 31 on 4.88 now and it is great wheeling and around town.... Freeway... It is OK... No more 80 for me.

Nice! I guess you got every last mile out of it then.

The 35 died suddenly last night about 2-hours after my last post (the irony!). Minding my own business doing 55 on the highway. There was a bang and the engine quit. Picked a pretty good spot, easy coast to a wide gore-strip at the next on-ramp! I'll post some pictures tomorrow, including the freshly installed 44. :wave1:

The last time I had a ring a pinion go out I was in a 2wd Ford Ranger running 65 down the hwy. There was no coasting to it. Tires went from 65 to 0 real quick. I slid with locked up tires for a good ways. BIG Flat spots on the tires and a seriously TRASHED ring and pinion.

And people wonder why we recommend against the D35 when running anything larger than 31s...You got lucky, larsen. Imagine if a chunk of gear had lodged in somewhere and locked your tires like Lowrange's Ranger...could've been a bad day.

And people wonder why we recommend against the D35 when running anything larger than 31s...You got lucky, larsen. Imagine if a chunk of gear had lodged in somewhere and locked your tires like Lowrange's Ranger...could've been a bad day.

That had crossed my mind. Here's how the bits were distributed when the cover came off. Could have been repaired with a new cross-pin and spiders. The on-hand D44 was obviously a better option.
100_2807.jpg

Especially happy there weren't any c-clips.

35 sucessfully jettisoned
100_2829.jpg

New 44 guts; locker & 4.10s

100_2841.jpg

100_2855.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you got lucky for sure! If that cross shaft had jammed on the pinion it would have been ugly. Actually, do the pinion teeth look at all chewed up?

Wow, you got lucky for sure! If that cross shaft had jammed on the pinion it would have been ugly. Actually, do the pinion teeth look at all chewed up?

Didn't see any damage beyond the cross-shaft and spider gears. They were new a year ago, lasted about 2,000 miles. Another set would have probably fixed it. I should see if there's any warranty I can weasel. lol

100_2814.jpg

¡¡en salada!!
!

Back