• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours Offroad

kcmudbug

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered a Detours Backbone with light bar from Mark on November 12th 2013 for my 98 XJ. I was hoping to have it for my 'build week' Nov 25th through 29th. I was told it wouldn't be a problem, that would take 10 business days to arrive. Mark immediately billed my card. I contacted him Nov 20th to check the status and he said he was still waiting on a steel order he needed to build it and wasn't sure he could make it in time. The same exchange took place again on Dec 2. Then there were shipping delays on Dec 13th and 18th. I finally received it around Christmas.

Because he'd missed both my weeks of down time, I didn't get a chance to try to install it until later. In the mean time, I tried to get d-rings for it which has also turned out problematic. The website specifically states 3/4" d ring mounts, yet the two sets I'd ordered don't fit. After several emails back n forth to Mark, he sent me a link to some that he said would fit. At that point, I ordered them and installed the backbone. When they arrived, the threaded part will go into the hole on the backbone, but not the main shaft of the cross pin. Unfortunately he drilled the holes too close to the edge of the mount IMO, so enlarging it is not an option.

During the installation of the backbone, I also found that the light bar is too wide to mount the bumper with the end caps attached on late model Cherokees. I ended up having to cut extra metal out of the bumper to be able to install the winch and light bar after the bumper was in place.

I've emailed Mark twice since finding out the d rings he specified don't fit. (about 3 weeks) and have yet to receive a response. I've talked with other backbone owners and they are mixed as to 3/4" d rings fitting the backbone.

Overall I really like the design, but I'm pretty unhappy with the overall experience. I wish someone else offered a similar product. If they did, I'd probably ship this back and tell Visa to cancel the charges.

While I appreciate the info, I am disappointed that you didn't wait to hear from Mark before posting about his products, twice.

I've emailed Mark twice since finding out the d rings he specified don't fit. (about 3 weeks) and have yet to receive a response. .

While I appreciate the info, I am disappointed that you didn't wait to hear from Mark before posting about his products, twice.

Just pointing this out as it seems you may have missed it?

Detours is a Co you don't often read negative reviews on, but sounds like the OP was patient enough.. unless there's a shop closure we don't know about?

I read it, three times before responding, I try to avoid hasty responses.

While he may be a company, he is a lone man working out of his garage. Not a large corporation like many others. To the best of my knowledge, he builds as ordered, he doesn't keep any stock.

I would not order expecting a fast turn around, that's me. I did read that a timeframe was agreed upon, and it sounds like he attempted to honor it. We all know that sometimes sh*t happens, and there are delays.

The OP, having tried many shackles, and receiving info from Mark twice, still went ahead with the installation, instead of contacting the fabricator and waiting for a resolution. IMO, this makes his complaints moot, his impatience has now lead to this post, IMO.

It could be that I'm more patient than the average Joe. It could be that with over a decade of positive reviews of this man and his company, I still intend to buy his product when the time comes.

Not looking for an argument with ya..seriously. Thought I was pointing out an oversight.

However, 3 weeks with no communication from Detours seems a bit long. I'd be PO'd myself..

Was the OP supposed to put off the install of the bumper to verify the manufacturers advice to which add-on accessory will fit? That don't sound right to me..

Not trying to be argumentative either.

Put off the install? I would, if it didn't fit correctly, if the shackles didn't fit. I'd rather have the correct parts to install, than to complain after the fact.

I agree, three weeks seems excessive. I'd be upset and seeking a reason. I wouldn't publicly out someone until I knew the reason.

I did put off the install of the backbone for almost 2 months. There were several emails that went back and forth between Mark and myself. We did talk about the issue. He sent me a link of exactly which d rings to buy. Upon receiving that, I proceeded with the install. In hindsight, maybe that wasn't the best plan, but I need my jeep to be functional with the winch mounted on it for timber removal and work on my property. A couple days later, the d rings that he specified showed up (by this point, I've got almost $100 in d rings trying to find some that would fit) and didn't fit.

I do understand that he is a lone man, and have tried to cut him some slack. That's why you didn't see a post about waiting 6 weeks or so on delivery when I was told 10 business days. You also didn't see any posts when first discovered the d ring issue.
I sent him an email to let him know they didn't fit and see what I should do. A week later I sent another him a second email. I have not received a response. The only thing I haven't talked to him about was the light bar not quite fitting, but I was able to make that work. His lack of response is what brought this out, and if I'm going to post about it, I'm going to post about the whole thing.

Any time I have a problem, I try to resolve it directly with the vendor instead of airing it publicly...unless the vendor is flat out rude to me. The only way it shows up here is if that happens, or they don't respond. The two that you've seen today fit those criteria Daniel was rude...though he really stood up in that thread and I appreciate that. Mark is not responding.

These people are in business. They aren't doing charity work. They named the price and took my hard-earned dollars with an agreement to provide a certain product that meets certain specifications. I am an understanding person, but there is a point where I'm going to voice my opinion about the transaction if it goes wrong.

Last edited:
Back