• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detour rear bumper install

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my new bumper hehehehe:rof: I didn't get any installation instructions, which may because it's so easy anybody should be able to do it, just wondering if anybody might have an electronic copy

I put mine on my 98 a few months ago, its pretty straight forward.

Remove the caps, bumper, and all brackets including the riveted cap brackets on the lower quarters.
I had to remove my hitch(ditching it anyway), and prop up my gastank skid. I then removed the nut strips to cut them in half, then reinstall the front portions for the gastank skid. You do this to allow use of the 'mini' nut strips Mark provided for the bumper.
Slide the Mini strips in and loosely bolt them up(you want them snug up against the bumper before tightening at the rail).
Now the best part, slide the bumper on. You might have to give it a hip shot a few times to snug it up.
Start installing the 10 bolts at the old bumper bracket mounts, but dont crank on them yet. (8 total of these for the brackets plus one for the Mini strip, bolts are provided, but suggested to double nut those. You can reuse the originals also with out the double nut suggestion).
Check the bumper is straight, and lined up(it will be, or very close), and if you got the carrier, temp it on, and check your lift Gate clears(take note of the space the gate has as it passes the carrier bushing) Adjust bumper as needed before tightening the bolts(the top ones can be a bit of a pain to get a socket on). Use a Jack if you have to move it around a bit.
After you are satisfied torque those bolts tight, then the same to the mini strips, at the rail.
Next is dealing with important lower quarter bolts. I had some rust issues to deal with to make that area a useful connection. But you may be able to just create access to inside the lower quarter so that you can bolt the stainless Allen heads, and small plates provided through the quarter guards of the bumper and onto the quarters.

Was a few months ago, but thats how I remember it.

thank you for the response, I'm getting a bad feeling about this install now though. I've got a hitch that I need to keep and my lower quater panels are shot

You may be able to keep the hitch, I didnt try so I cant say for sure. As long as the reciever portion is low enough I see no reason why it wouldnt work. You will just cut the original nut strips in half, then also use the mini strips for the hitch.

The rust was an issue for me also, but only on the drivers side. I cut out what was bad, then welded in some sheet, nothing pretty as it was getting covered up anyway. Then I stitch welded the bottom of the guard to the XJ for good measure, both sides.

Did you get the Carrier? The quarter guard connection isnt needed as much if you didnt. With the carrier, that connection is there to stop any torque on the mounting plates from the added weight of the tire/carrier.

yep I did, I have one weekend to do this in before NAC-fest I guess I'll wait until I get back

A weekend? Dude no problem... How bad is the rust? nothing there? that could slow you down, but the rest is cake.

Whatever you do behind the guards doesnt have to be pretty, just fashion a way to make a connection. You could even just stitch to any good metal on the quarter.

I'm feeling pretty stupid now I just found the instructions Mark had wrapped them to the bumper where any normal person would be able to find them.

I don't have access to a welder so that alone will take a day and this Sunday is fathers day so I'm sure I'll have the day planned for me :clap: So I have to decide weather it's something I can get done or wait until I get back. I'm affraid to take the bumper off and drive through PA without one those guys will give me a ticket for sure, if I can get the old one off where I can re-install it before I reach a point of no return I;ll do that, plus I still have to paint it.

Im in Ohio, and dont think I can drive through PA ;)

You should be painting tonight :) My bumper came off pretty easy, didnt break any bolts which is abnormal as most everything else crumbles when I show it a wrench.
Hope it works out, if not I hope you enjoy Fathers Day anyway ;)

Thought I'd follow up and close this one out. I figured out why I was having problems lining up the L brackets, whoever installed the hitch didn't use any of the pre drilled holes they didn't line up, so they drilled new ones, so that's what I did drilled newhole to line up with the L brackets. Once I got the L brackets installed I by myself lifted and put the bumper in place, Mark built it to such close tolerances that it stayed in place on it’s own, with a little wiggling I got all the bolts to line up. The only real hard part is that with my hitch still on and my fat hands I had a difficult time reaching in to get the bolts started, but once in it just took awhile to get everything tight because it so tight that you could only turn the wrench a little. As for the carrier that was a piece of cake. I’m quite happy with it so far it looks great. If anybody needs help with this just PM I’ll try to walk you through it best I can.

Back