• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Democrats, Republicans, Pundits & Preachers

JeffV said:
I'm proud of my country, but not it's politics.

I don't believe it has been put better. Good thing about the U.S.A. is that you won't get killed, imprisoned or carried off in the middle of the night if you don't agree.

The something or nothing thought doesnt apply to Kerry in this situation. He was not the one to make a decision as to what to do. He was an Lt. and did not even come close to having the power to make decisions and negotiate.

Also, there were people doing something. People that were authorized to be in Paris at the talks, where Kerry had no reason to be.

Fergie

Fergie said:
I don't believe it has been put better. Good thing about the U.S.A. is that you won't get killed, imprisoned or carried off in the middle of the night if you don't agree.
That's not entirely true. 3 things come to mind.

Japaneese internment camps - WW2
Kent State - 1970
The National Strategy For Homeland Security - today

JeffV said:
That's not entirely true. 3 things come to mind.

Japaneese internment camps - WW2
Kent State - 1970
The National Strategy For Homeland Security - today

Boy, you are some kind of pessimist. The first two were isolated incidents, and you are grasping for straws with the third.

Take a look at Staling, Lenin, or any number of dictatorships and that is what I am talking about.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Boy, you are some kind of pessimist. The first two were isolated incidents, and you are grasping for straws with the third.

Take a look at Staling, Lenin, or any number of dictatorships and that is what I am talking about.

Fergie
Yeah, there's a fine line between realist and pessimist.

Isolated or not, they're real, not imagined.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

The National Strategy For Homeland Security is full of "holes" that are capable of seriously infringing upon your constitutional rights. The're already being used on "suspected" terrorists.

Before you ask, NO I will not give examples to back up my statment. Look it up. Read it and interpret it yourself.

I'd like to sit here all day and play games with the NAXJA debate team, but I have a real life I gotta tend to.

I'm goin' back to lurk mode.

JeffV said:

Before you ask, NO I will not give examples to back up my statment. Look it up. Read it and interpret it yourself.

I'd like to sit here all day and play games with the NAXJA debate team, but I have a real life I gotta tend to.

I'm goin' back to lurk mode.

I do my own homework, and not once have I said that I support the National Strategy. I just find it interesting that you seem to be so against President Bush, or for Kerry actions as it is. It just appears to me that you are some disenfranchised person that some kind of grudge against the United States and the Government.

Have fun in lurk mode. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut until the 3rd unless someone posts something retarded. Good discussion are always fun, dont get this level of thought at the college level.

Fergie

JeffV said:
No. But they died demonstrating for what they believed in.

Does that make them heros?

How do think wars conclude? Do we just kill them all, or do we talk?
Talking is fine. Jeff, the point is that under our Constitution and our legal system, we have a branch of government that is specifically empowered to negotiate with representatives of governments with whom we are at war. That branch is the Executive branch. It is illegal for other branches of government to undertake negotiations with the enemy, and it is illegal for individuals to undertake negotiations with the enemy. What John Kerry did was treasonous. The kids at Kent State were exercisiong a Constitutional right to assemble and make their views known. I can't believe you don't understand the difference.

JeffV said:
If Kerry had committed a treasonist act or other attrocity why do you think he was he never prosecuted?
For one reason, and one reason only: He was then, as he is now, a personal friend of the Kennedies.

JeffV said:
I believe to do SOMETHING or NOTHING was the root choice. Doing nothing is also wrong. I also believe anything that was following "politically correct" procedures of the time would have equated to doing nothing.
There is a radical difference between being "politically incorrect" and violating the Constitution, the United States Code, AND the Uniform Code of Military Justice. We're not talking about whether or not he should have adhered to "politically correct" procedures, we're talking about whether or not he should have broken the law he had sworn an oath as an officer in the United States Navy to uphold.

Fergie said:
Unless you attend Kent State University ...

I wasn't there (or even alive at the time) but I can't hellp but wonder if possibly the students may have gotten somewhat rowdy. I don't think that the National Guardsmen would've just started shooting unless they were somehow threatened. But like I said, I wasn't even alive, nor do I know much about the circumstances. Just throwing an idea out there.

What separates Bush from Kerry?

Strateegery.

I don't hide who I support and I can back up what I believe in with more than blind faith, ignorance, and the re-treading of the talk radio and talk tv pundits. Yeah, I like wheeling, but it's not a voting issue for me. There is a lot more at stake than my few hours a year on the trails. The Supreme Court, woman's right to choose, jobs, health care, exportation of labor, exploitation of labor, fully funded education, urban renewal, immigration, privacy, civil liberties, infrastructure, oil prices, foreign policy, the axissss of evil, the war on terrrrr.... I doubt very seriously that a Kerry presidency would end wheeling. I think he would likely be pre-occupied with more important things.

A lot is at stake this time as there is a clear choice of direction to go. For me it is Kerry. For many of you it is Bush. None of us is likely to convince anyone to jump ship at this point. All I hope is that everyone votes their conscience after a reasoned analysis of the issues. If what is going on in Chicago today as I see people going to the polls in Lincoln Park and what I saw early this morning in the heavily Republican district of the suburbs which I live in is happening everywhere else in the country, we are in for a HUGE voter turnout. Historically that is not good for Republicans or incumbents. Even our monument to Republicanism Phil Crane is likely to go down in a district that is heavily Republican.

All I hope for now is that we will not have to decide the election in the courts.

Eagle said:
Listen up, little boy, and listen well.
What more does he need to say?

Nice. And you did it all in ONE SENTENCE !! We're not worthy, we're not worthy !! :worship:

Oh and by the way eagle...Thanks for going... I was only, depending on the year, 0-8 yrs old.

red91inWA said:
Oh and by the way eagle...Thanks for going... I was only, depending on the year, 0-8 yrs old.

And believe me, it wasn't MY idea!

Back