• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANG IT!

DrRandy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Strangers! Its been a while since I've been on here. Ive been wheeling lots just with the local club here. Anyway, 2 weeks ago I floped/flipped my XJ (I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it out the garage and cleaned up). Well, I'm thinking hard about an MJ. (I don't want to chop the XJ...body lines are FUBAR'ed). I know several of you here in SEC have an XJ. I've been searching but haven't really found what i'm looking for. Question: Can you guys point me in the right direction as to what MJ i'm looking for? I know this is NOT the MJ forum but since I know some of you guys I figured good place to start!
BTW...THANKS TO HIGH2BY! The cage I got from you several yrs ago SAVED ME!! Seriously thank you Sir. If I end up going MJ you have first dibs on the cage if you want it back...cheap. It held up great!
Thank guys

Last edited:
I have an MJ body that'd be good to start with. You'd have to swap over EVERYTHING frm your XJ to the MJ.

300 bucks and it's yours...

*Starts to drool* BUY NOW... Assuming the rust it not bad!

MJ rusted floors are easy to replace, but rusted cab corners and rear frame rails are a death sentence.

Come over to the MJ side...

gallery_1_12_192360.jpg

Sorry to hear this, man. No chance of keeping the Xj as trail only? I've seen lots of really gnarly ones still tearing up the trails...

O ya I'm sure it'd be possible. I'm at the time that its either invest a BUNCH into the XJ with big axles, new motor better brakes etc etc. My XJ still has D30/8.25 on 35's.
That being said, at this point I'd like to invest all this time and money in the rig I'd like to keep and make bad to the bone! And I'm kinda ready for something different honestly.

I have an MJ body that'd be good to start with. You'd have to swap over EVERYTHING frm your XJ to the MJ.

300 bucks and it's yours...

That's a LOT of work. Thanks but I'd like to have something a little more whole than tub only! Haha

What year(s) MJ am I hunting for? The XJ is a 91 so would later MJ's be a better starting point? Of course this depends what needs to be swapped. Can one of you MJ guys point me to a thread discussing the difference in years? Can't really find one searching.....also not sure what to search for!

Then you should buy Andy's... you aint gonna find one for cheap that's in good shape. Ive been watching Craigslist daily for almost two years. They bring good money for the decent ones. That one posted will easily pull 5k. Its pretty darn cherry.

Just swap everything into Andy's, its only time... :)

Then you should buy Andy's... you aint gonna find one for cheap that's in good shape. Ive been watching Craigslist daily for almost two years. They bring good money for the decent ones. That one posted will easily pull 5k. Its pretty darn cherry.

Just swap everything into Andy's, its only time... :)

Heck yea its cherry....to cherry for me!! I'll find one eventually.

*Starts to drool* BUY NOW... Assuming the rust it not bad!

MJ rusted floors are easy to replace, but rusted cab corners and rear frame rails are a death sentence.

Come over to the MJ side...

gallery_1_12_192360.jpg

There's a rust hole the size of a paper plate in the driver's side floor. Other than that there's zero rust.

The fenders are rough and the bed sides are rough. The drivers side upper door hinge needs to be welded back on.

Honestly, swapping everything really isn't that big of a deal. The worst part would be modifying the motor mounts to fit the 4.0 (Since this is a 2.5 truck) but other than that it'd all bolt right up.

The cab is super straight. That's why I initially bought the thing but lost interest and started parting it.

(I have another set of tail lights for it)

IMG_20130421_182951_029_zps0f40ff6e.jpg

hummmmmm.....got me thinking.
I'll be in Anderson SC in 2 weeks also.

Last edited:
Doo eeeet. If you start from scratch with that mj, when it is wheelable you'll have something unique that you can really be proud of, and everything will be exactly how you want it. You won't have to settle for what worked ok from stock, because its already gone, lol.

Anderson is 20 minutes up the road from me... Id love to get it out of my yard. :)

The only thing you can't have in the picture are my compact spares on the front but we can bolt some rims on it and drag it up on a trailer.

Buy Andy's MJ!

The 4.0 brackets off your XJ should bolt right onto the MJ frame rails in place of the 2.5 MJ frame side mounts. This aint a wrangler, the engine to frame mounts are bolt-on not weld-on :)

Everything else should be bolt-in with the exception of the rear suspension, axle, and driveshaft. That stuff is MJ specific, but it's an afternoon's work for a skilled fabricator to weld new leaf perches on and make a new driveshaft. Hell, if the MJ comes with a 2wd driveshaft, you can simply shorten it... note you'll need the slip yoke off your XJ's rear shaft, 4x4 slip yokes are 27 spline while 2wd ones depend on the tranny. 2.5/2wd slip yokes are 21 spline, 4.0/2wd (auto) slip yokes are 27 spline, and I am not sure what spline count 4.0/2wd (manual) slip yokes are, it may depend on whether it's a BA-10 or an AX15. They all fit the same U-joint though, so just use your XJ's slip yoke with a new u-joint and shorten the 2wd shaft to fit.

Buy Andy's MJ!

The 4.0 brackets off your XJ should bolt right onto the MJ frame rails in place of the 2.5 MJ frame side mounts. This aint a wrangler, the engine to frame mounts are bolt-on not weld-on :)

Everything else should be bolt-in with the exception of the rear suspension, axle, and driveshaft. That stuff is MJ specific, but it's an afternoon's work for a skilled fabricator to weld new leaf perches on and make a new driveshaft. Hell, if the MJ comes with a 2wd driveshaft, you can simply shorten it... note you'll need the slip yoke off your XJ's rear shaft, 4x4 slip yokes are 27 spline while 2wd ones depend on the tranny. 2.5/2wd slip yokes are 21 spline, 4.0/2wd (auto) slip yokes are 27 spline, and I am not sure what spline count 4.0/2wd (manual) slip yokes are, it may depend on whether it's a BA-10 or an AX15. They all fit the same U-joint though, so just use your XJ's slip yoke with a new u-joint and shorten the 2wd shaft to fit.

The old shaft is laying on the ground under the truck.

It used to be a complete truck...

DSCF7384.jpg

I'm sad to say that if it doesn't go soon I'll pull the brand new clutch kit, master/slave cylinder and external slave bell housing out of it and scrap the whole thing. I wish I had the time to make it into something nice. I was going to save it to swap all of my stuff in when the XJ body gets tired but I'll just find another MJ body when the time get's here.

Last edited:
What yr. is that body anyway? Or does it even matter in it's state? Title in hand I assume?

Back