• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 60

badazzcherokee3

NAXJA Forum User
OK I WANT TO PUT FULL WIDTH DANA 60S UNDER MY CHEROKEE SO I WANT ANY ONE THAT HAS DONE THIS OR SEEN THE BUILD UP TO POST I WOULD LIKE TO THINGS TO DO THAT WOULD HELP ME OUT THANKS

Last edited:
Buy a mount kit from RE and weld them on the front axle, then buy some spring perches and weld them on the rear axle in the right place for the springs, bolt it up, get some new drivelines made, hook up the brake lines, get some 8 lug rims, and go wheeling.

You might want to ask questions that are a little more specific.

Trust me...

At the level of fab and design skill & experience that your post indicates, no, you really don't want to put full width Dana 60's under your XJ.

But if you want to read through 35+ pages of how I did it:

http://www.jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25725&highlight=vetteboy

DSC01603.JPG

DSC01771.JPG

It works extremely well, but if you haven't done any jeep mods before I would advise against doing what I did.

Most Full floating D60 rears I have seen are not 1.5in 35spline, so dont get stuck on needing a d60 rear. A D70 or FF 14bolt rear always have the 1.5in shafts and you may find one of those easier or cheaper. both coudl do the 5:38 max gearing a Ford front d60 can do.

78-79 ford front d60 is what you want.

What size tires?
What kinda wheelin.

I first did leafs front and rear. It was great for my skill level at the time. now I am 4linked front and rear.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139642

ashmanjeepxj said:
I first did leafs front and rear. It was great for my skill level at the time. now I am 4linked front and rear.

So, what are you trying to say about your skill level now? :looser:

:jester:

I have a full float Dana 60 thats Cherokee width. Its a Ford low pinion Dana 60 cut down to 63" with Solid Axle 35 spline spindles. I want $600 for it. Was going to use it for my next project, but plans changed.

AARON

vetteboy said:
Trust me...

At the level of fab and design skill & experience that your post indicates, no, you really don't want to put full width Dana 60's under your XJ.

But if you want to read through 35+ pages of how I did it:

http://www.jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25725&highlight=vetteboy

DSC01603.JPG

DSC01771.JPG

It works extremely well, but if you haven't done any jeep mods before I would advise against doing what I did.

All that and you still put the pumpkin on the wrong side! :laugh:

To be honest, I actually like having it over there. It works well with the way I pick lines and such. It also made it really easy to run the NP231/D300 combo without having to worry about flipping stuff, and also made it easy to run the upper arm for the 3-link on the other side.

ashmanjeepxj said:
both coudl do the 5:38 max gearing a Ford front d60 can do.

Wow, I must be hiding under a rock. I thought the lowest gearing available for a 14 bolt was 5.13! So when did they finally come out?

Israel said:
Wow, I must be hiding under a rock. I thought the lowest gearing available for a 14 bolt was 5.13! So when did they finally come out?

About a year ago, maybe. There was a minor issue with the pinion support bearing surface having some tooling marks on it, and a lot of people bitched about it, but there have been no failures reported so far.

Back