• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Rear Build??

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for some advice on building a Dana 44 rear for a '95 XJ. Does anyone offer a Super Dana 44 rear kit for the Dana 44's that came out of an 88 Cherokee? What is the max spline count? I thought I have seen a 33 spline for this axle out there somewhere.

Any advice on this?
:helpme:

Not sure who is making the shafts these days, but ARB & Detroit both make 33 spline lockers for the Dana 44.

IIRC ARB also makes 35 spline lockers, but with 2.75" tubes on the factory XJ 44 housing, things are getting snug inside there.

Hmm...ok. I would be more than happy with 33 spline shafts. Anything more and I would swap in the D60 I have sitting in the garage (I am saving it for another project).

Superior Super44 Kit - 33 spline axles & a Detroit or ARB
http://www.superioraxle.com/axles.html#super44

Also gives you the option to have a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

I run this myself in an XJ Dana 44. One thing I remember is the shop that installed it needed to use the bearing retaining flanges (not sure if that's the right name) from the original 30 spline setup, not the ones in the kit.

I ran the 35 spline dana 44 setup for a couple of years, worked great. Used the 35 spline ARB and Alloy-USA shafts.

Back