• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d60 on xj

na dood, just throw them biotches under there, drink some beer, and fawking go fooo wheeling..........yeah.

If you need to ask, you probably aren't capeable of such a swap... It's pretty involved and will take some serious fabrication.

But, if you consider yourself capeable of taking on such a swap, there are several writeups all over this forum... The search button is your friend.

white_elephant said:
what do i need to put d60s in my xj??? do i need to reinforce the "chasis"...or something??
Do you call your friend "I" and refer to his jeep as "my xj"?

honestly I didn't think it was a huge deal when I did my 1ton swap. But I already had a custom long arm setup. I spent about a month measuring, double checking and tripple checking. I build the brackets while the axle was outside the jeep. I designed the brackets to bolt right in to my existing long arms. I think it took about a weekend to get the axle in and a week get all the small details worked out.

Ben H said:
Do you call your friend "I" and refer to his jeep as "my xj"?

yeah.. so i wont get an answer like your friend should come and ask us...

and my question is the will the xjs frame hold??? same question for a zj and wj??

Hell it wont even hold up to wheeling with the stock axles for too long.

The axle plays little role in how the unibody is going to hold up... The weight of the rig is on the axle, not vise versa... The only downfall that I can think of is the tortional load on the control arms and leaf springs with the added weight of the axles... Which won't be a problem whatsoever if it's set up correctly.

Other than that, it will hold up to Rockwells if you have the time/dough to go that route.

thanks...he just wants to swaps 60s or may be rear amc 20...and 38s....i thinks its to much...but w.e its his money...

im fine with my 33s :D...may be soon to 35s not more than that...

Look into a 9" instead. Lighter in weight and easy to build.

60s are a pig under jeeps unless you have a good amount of horsepower.

And you should be able to pickup a 9" for about the same price as the 60.

nekocopter said:
The axle plays little role in how the unibody is going to hold up... The weight of the rig is on the axle, not vise versa... The only downfall that I can think of is the tortional load on the control arms and leaf springs with the added weight of the axles... Which won't be a problem whatsoever if it's set up correctly.

There's two reasons it's a problem.

One is when you hit the droop limit, and you've got an additional 500 lbs of weight hanging from a corner that wasn't there before. That's putting a lot more twist on the frame.

Second is that if you're doing the sort of stuff that requires bigger axles and bigger tires, you're likely getting into situations that inherently put more stress on the unibody (flexy spots, high torque requirements, leaning into stuff, more demand on steering mounts / link mounts, etc) which will reduce the life span of it even more.

So many blue names.............glad we have a membership drive coming up. :)

Oh, and to mount D60's under an XJ, you add spring perches and shock mounts in the right place on the rear and bolt it up, and in the front you add control arm brackets which can be bought from a couple of places and you bolt it up. As far as the frame holding up to 60's and big tires, it's well known that if you wheel an XJ hard with big tires that you're going to have to reinforce the frame........just like you would on a Wrangler, CJ, Toyota or anything else. You can get away with it for awhile, but eventually you'll have fatigue cracks. If you drive on the street and the occasional mud pit, you'll get away with it a lot longer than those who hammer them through the rocks.

in that case...if he swaps the 60s and the 38s that xj wont leave mud....."florida" swamps everywhere.... the farthes he will go is tellico....

he wants to swap the v8 from the wj add some horsepower and just go mudding with it.....

he will reinforse the uniframe then swaps the 60s......

if a 9 inch will hold 38s then i guess it will be good too...

bigolexj said:
You're in Florida, so the only option you have if you still want to be LEET is to go with Rockwells. By the way, you're going to want to break the 400hp barrier otherwise you will feel like you're driving a POS. ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v3dTTExTGE0

:laugh::laugh::banghead::banghead::looser::puke::dunce::spin3::speepin:(n)

I cant believe people actually think bogging is fun or cool! Wow.. just wow.

Back