• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Paint on the Cheep...

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to make my heep stick out from the crowd a bit more than it does.. Its a faded red, two door. I want to rattle can a decent paint scheme onto it, but am coming up short on ideas. I was thinking winter camo with a tribal twist, or maybe some flames, or a "racing" inspired ( I think I have seen 3 color AMC/Jeep factory Race paint jobs).. anyways, let me see what ya got.. I dont necessarily want to copy a paint job, but I need some ideas.. pics appreciated...

what ever you do dont use gloss rattle can. pain in the rear!! i tried it on a truck and it looks awful. use a semi gloss of flat color. the gloss would be ok for small areas like numbers of graphics. i think that tribal camo would be pretty cool.

Get a bunch of nice spray paint (it makes a big difference). Then go to a hip-hop or head shop and buy some graffitti tips. they cost about 10-30 cents apiece. get a piece of plywood and practice. Tips can do alot, and the brand paint makes all the difference. If you want to do a unique color, check out this site. Montana makes graffitti spraypaint. It isn't cheap, but its quality, made not to run, and available in unique colors.

http://www.bombingscience.com/shop-montana.htm

I just did a set of windshield hinges for a TJ on thursday, used Rustoleum black satin, low sheen, has a pic of a cast iron table on the front. Was very pleased with the results. Did the prep work though, hit it with some 1000 wet/dry, wiped it down with prepsol, primed it with rustoleum black primer and let it dry about an hour then painted. Did two coats, looks good....

you could try doing like a 2-Tone paint job and break it up using he body line that runs above the door handles. I've seen this on a few xj's one was black and yellow and it looked pretty good. Sorry I don't have any pics though.

I did the 2 tone job on mine, black(herculiner) bottom against the white looked pretty good. I only did up to the break in the door. It seems like i had a reason for doing it, but i cant for the life of me remember what it was...

but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

Thanks for the tips, I had never heard of graffiti tips, but always wondered how they got those lines..
i had thought about the 2 tone.. maybe go classic? but that might not be my style... guess i will have to sit down and come up with some sketches. .

The best graffiti I have ever seen done wasn't done with any special tips or paint. It was done by guys with just whatever paint they could find, and chunks of cardboard. It really is a form of art when you see them. They do it in no time at all and make it look so easy. It's all just how you aim the spray, how close the tip is to the surface, and the speed at which you make a pass. Now getting all those things right and looking good is the hard part.....

You could always try to track down someone who does it and let them go to town on your rig in exchange for a 12 pack...... :laugh3:

I rememeber why i went 2-tone now.

when i bought the rig, it still had all that limited package door trim on it, after about 60% of it and the paint behind it got torn off, i just tore the rest off and painted it.

A little after-thought here....I'm pretty sure I've heard this suggestion on here before, if not-great! But what about filling paintballs with some regular paint and using your rig as a target? That would definitely be one of a kind! :laugh3:

I have been thinking of doing Camo flames on my XJ. Just wish my XJ wasn't blue to start w/. Guess I could try the urban camo w/ blue, black, white, grey colors on the flames? Now I just have to get someone to tape the flames off or start practicing my taping.

When I was younger I had a '79 Chevy Caprice (305, no muffler) which I bought primered for $400.00. I painted it flat black with rustoleum and did freehand yellow/orange/red flames on the front, stenciled skulls and crossbones and "13" on the hood and doors, "BUZZBOMB" across the trunk.

If I bought another beater car/jeep, I'd do it all over again. It just seems to make traffic much more negotiable.

nhrocker said:
The best graffiti I have ever seen done wasn't done with any special tips or paint. It was done by guys with just whatever paint they could find, and chunks of cardboard. It really is a form of art when you see them. They do it in no time at all and make it look so easy. It's all just how you aim the spray, how close the tip is to the surface, and the speed at which you make a pass. Now getting all those things right and looking good is the hard part.....

As an experienced graffiti artist/tagger, painting on "chunks of cardboard" is alot easier than doing a wall. cheap paint will take 4-5 good coats just to get the background, and with montana, 1 coat is all you need. The right paint, and infinitly better tips, you can do a great even job in less than an hour. Spray paint is very metaphorical for jeeps. Stock, it does just fine for most people, and in teh right hands can be downright impressive. But with the right mods and the right jeep ( :) ) you can make it do a whole lot more.

I wasn't saying it's done on the cardboard, it's used to get clean, fast edges and to start and stop your spray for certain effects. I was watching it being done on walls, trains, tractor trailers, cars, whatever they could. And all they used was cans of paint they found in dumpsters or had donated. They never had to do more than 2 coats to get a good cover. They did it to cover up peoples explicit tags. One guy did about an 6' by 8' mural in under 20 minutes. It's incredible to watch.

I did my TJ with Rustoleum flat khaki on all the sheet metal, and OD on all the plastic exterior parts and bumpers, black on the wheels. I wanted to do camo, but wasn't confident I could come up with a good pattern. I still will do it at some point. But in the meantime, I haven't seen another like mine yet. It's easy to touchup when I bump stuff. I just wet sanded the whole Jeep with 600 grit, and then cleaned it well and painted. I spent maybe $50 for paint and all the supplies. It did take a lot of time, as I removed pieces that I couldn't mask cleanly. But the end result was good, I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, not believing it was done with rattle cans.

Back