• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember Problems?????

JCSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am very confused and just trying to see if anyone has ran into this problem before. Here's what I got:
1996 XJ, 5" lift, 33's, no SYE, 30/35, 4.0, auto......
Here's the problem:
I bought the Jeep three years ago pretty much the way it sits now and it had a 1" drop on the crossmember. Well I drag the crossmember over everything and am always getting hung up on it so I finally decided that I want to do a flat belly skid on it. I don't have the money for a SYE and a new drive shaft so I was just going to do it if I could get it up there and not have any vibes. I took the spacers out last night and bolted the crossmember up in it's stock location. The thing vibrated and felt rough just sitting still. I went to put it in reverse to back out of the garage and it felt like it was harder just doing that. I said screw it and took it around the block, that's when I started hearing something hitting the fan so I jumped out to take a look. Some how just by removing the 1" spacers it forced the engine up far enough to where one of the pulleys actually hits the electric fan????? Am I missing something???? All I did was move it up to it's original location. Sorry for the novel just really confused by this. BTW, yes the driver side motor mount is broke (at the bottom). I found this out while looking it over trying to figure it out. Even with it broke I do not see how it is possible for it to be doing this. The rubber in both of the mounts looks like it is being forced forward??? I had to change it back so I could get to work but if anyone needs pictures I can take some this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Since you said that you were getting hung up on it, is it bent up? That happened to mine, so when I took out the spacers, everything was pushed up higher than it should have been, including the exhaust which was touching the floorboard. Really sounded like crap.

The crossmemeber has to be bent up in the middle. And, you may have some bad motor mounts.

I'm going to screw around with it this weekend and see if I can get it to work. It does look a little bent up in the middle.....maybe just enough to screw things up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back