• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coordination of trails for Moab

MOAB Runs

Mil, et al,

I plan to be there this year again but can't guarantee cause of work. Missed out on the Best of the West, Swamp Lake and who's knows what else.

I'll let you know as the date gets closer but sign me up any trail you need help on where I can help but you won't get into a bind if I don't show up.

Just dont let me miss the Helldorado and Proving Grounds trail (Will it be one trail like last year or two separate trails?)

Ray

Rim

There is no harm in double-scheduling some of the best/popular trails - for example, if the Gold Bar Rim is offered opposite another trail, we could always hit it with another group another day. This would also ease the congestion, and its impossible to be social to a huge group anyway, everyone just sees the same folks they are next to lined up before the obstacles.

The view from up there is just too good for anyone to miss, but I will spare y'all my favorite picture. :lol:

Good point Joe.

Last year Gold Bar was scheduled on the same day as PSM, even though it was brought up that there were enough who wanted to run both trails and requested they be scheduled on different days. I hope this year is going to be different.

Tom

OK - I forgot about those just wanting to do PSM w/o continuing on with Golden Spike (which can get a Gold Bar bonus on the way out) and was focused on the possibility (which worked well last year) of running the upper part of Golden Spike (in reverse to the Crack) as a bonus to running Gold Bar. It just seemed like a natural to link up.

And Joe brings up a very good point about congestion.

So Mil, I withdraw my "coordinate" suggestion - I agree that PSM and Gold Bar should be run on different days, or, run more than once.

Mike in NJ

I think we should just run everybody across the Spike and take care of all three trails at once :shock:.

I will be happy to take a leadership role on that run depending on the day. I don't think we'll be there until Friday, and it will be another month or so before I can commit to being there due to work (WorldCom). I want somebody else who is familiar with the trail on the run, though, since the route gets questionable at times.

Nay

I'd be happy to lead the Ladies run, Mil. Seriously, other than PS I don't really know many of the trails THAT WELL. I am happy to run tailgunner on any of the hard runs. Come to think of it, I'd prefer tailgunner on the ladies run also. :twisted:

trails

Keep the comments coming folks, I'm listening and I'll create a list of trails based on the comments and what I know as fun, scenic and exciting trails.

Jen, I'm not sure if Matt would let you take Tractor out in the boonies alone will he. If he does and we think that there is enough ladies that would participate we could set it up. we may just try it as an imprompto idea when we get there unless I here from enough before then. there's still alot of time yet.

When we get closer to the date and we have a more confirmed list of those that will be going I can assign the trails and trail leaders.
just keep the comments coming though.
Mil

What mine is mine and whta's his is mine. :)

No, really. I'd like to do a ladies thing. But I would want someone who can fix jeeps there. (I have no idea how to fix things, I only hand over the tools)
Matt says he wouldn't mind going with us. He said it should be an easy day on an easy trail. (I'll show him)

lady drivers day

How about a lady only driver run with the significant (or non-significant) other as the co-pilot? This way the ladies can have the mechanic on board and navigator and lunch provider and babysitter and what ever else the ladies usually do while the guys are bonding on a run.
I will choose one of the trails and will plan it as a 4th trail for one of the days. If there is not enough interest that day then thats ok and they can blend in to what ever trail they want. Open for any other suggestions.
Mil

Mil, I'll lead the HR run on Friday if you want me to and I think that there is some wisdom to splitting the group up after the Hells Gate lunch stop........those that want to try obstacles like Hells Gate, Mickeys Hottub, Escalator, Tip Over Challenge etc can do so and not hold up the whole group. If there are those that want to play through and bypass the more challenging obstacles, there should be someone who is familiar with the trail that wouldn't mind leading them out.

I'll be available to lead other trials as well, I'll be hitting town on Tuesday night and will head out on Sunday morning, so we'll have to chat on where you need help in the lead/gunner department.

X

Trails

Thanks Jeff,
I knew you would come thru. I will be splitting the Hells Revenge run. I was thinking that the group could split up with the ones doing all the difficult obstacles first and probably let the other group start in about an hour later.
Save Dump Bump till last on the way out. The big dinner will be that nite so we will have to plan the run accordingly to have enough time to do the dinner.
I'll be posting the trail schedule this next week one day so everyone can start planning and figure which ones they want to help out on.
Take care and I'll yak at ya later.

Here is the tentative list for the Fall Fling 2002. If you see a trail that you would like to lead or could lead please let me know. I need someone that knows the Top of World and down Rose Garden Trail to be a leader on that Saturday.
The trails may change depending on who I get for volunteers. As you can see I have made 4 trails per day. If we have to combine the easy and moderate then that is fine also. Everything is subject to change as most of you know when it comes to the day of the runs but this is the schedule that I see as being the most versatile. I will be there early so there will also be unofficial runs for those that get there early.

FALL FLING 2002
MOAB, UTAH
TRAIL LIST FOR
OCTOBER 9-12

E= EASY; stock vehicles with minimum modifications
M=MODERATE; vehicles with moderate modifications. ie. 3”+ lift, 30”+ tires, some skid protection
H=HARD; minimum 3.5”+ lift, minimum 31” tires, skid protection, and traction aid at least in one differential, experienced driver in 4 wheeling, willing to take body damage.
D=VERY DIFFICULT; minimum 4.5”+ lift, minimum 32” tires, minimum mandatory one locker or two well working limited slips, tools, spare parts and knowledge in repairing vehicle, willing to take probable body damage and spend long day on trail with family.

TRAIL LIST
(LEADER)

WENDSDAY, OCTOBER,9.
E=Tusher Tunnel/Gemini Bridges (Mil)
M= Tusher Tunnel/Wipeout Hill (Mil)
H= Behind the Rocks or Metal Masher
D= possibly Behind the Rocks and down Pritchett Canyon
Or just up Pritchett Canyon

THURSDAY, OCTOBER,10.
E= Schaffer Trail (Mike)
M= Poison Spider
H= Cliff Hanger (Mil)
D=Helldorado

FRIDAY, OCTOBER, 11
E=
M= HELLS REVENGE
H= ALL XJ RUN
D=

SATURDAY, OCTOBER, 12
E=Top of World/Rose Garden
M= Gold Bar Rim to Golden Spike
H= Poison Spider/Golden Spike (Nay)
D= Rusty Nail/Golden Spike (Sean R)

Mil, plan on me leading the Hard run on Wednesday-Behind the Rocks or Metal Masher are both fun trails, I'll lead whichever one gets the vote.
On Friday I'll lead the Hard version of Hells Revenge, you've got a good idea on a phased deployment which will get everyone on and off the trail before the big dinner.
If there's gonna be a full or near full moon during the FF, I'll probably head out for a moonlight run up Hells Gate one night, for those suffering from Moab induced insomnia..................

X

explanation of &#8221 in the trails post

Something weird happened in the transfer of info from WORD to the site.
The '&#8221' stands for " or inches.

I would prefer Metal Masher on Wednesday especially if you lead it, Jeff. I still haven't fixed my brakes so I'm a dead man walking on BTR. Besides, it has very long stretches between obstacles. I've never run MM so maybe it is the same?

[quote:9d4612ab89="XJEEPER"]Mil, plan on me leading the Hard run on Wednesday-Behind the Rocks or Metal Masher are both fun trails, I'll lead whichever one gets the vote.
On Friday I'll lead the Hard version of Hells Revenge, you've got a good idea on a phased deployment which will get everyone on and off the trail before the big dinner.
If there's gonna be a full or near full moon during the FF, I'll probably head out for a moonlight run up Hells Gate one night, for those suffering from Moab induced insomnia..................

X[/quote:9d4612ab89]

Jeff, can I sign on as your 'guest' for this event (providing I haven't put mine shiny side down before then)?

[quote:493c6a4a8d="Anonymous"][quote:493c6a4a8d="XJEEPER"]Mil, plan on me leading the Hard run on Wednesday-Behind the Rocks or Metal Masher are both fun trails, I'll lead whichever one gets the vote.

X[/quote:493c6a4a8d]

Jeff, can I sign on as your 'guest' for this event (providing I haven't put mine shiny side down before then)?[/quote:493c6a4a8d]

Jeff, I was the 'mystery guest'. I thought my user info would travel over from the other NAXJA board. Anyway, I was thinking of going down, but haven't joined NAXJA yet. Someone was talking about needing wheels for a 'tire test' and I have two sets (5 spoke alum. stockers 15x7, Eagle 15x8 alum. mods) and access to another (15x8 TJ Gamblers) if they are needed.

[quote:1cf74d1727="David B"]I would prefer Metal Masher on Wednesday especially if you lead it, Jeff. I still haven't fixed my brakes so I'm a dead man walking on BTR. Besides, it has very long stretches between obstacles. I've never run MM so maybe it is the same?[/quote:1cf74d1727]

Dave, what's wrong with the brakes? I was thinking of leading Behind the Rocks and running it backwards so you won't even need your brakes......very much :lol:

Back