• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converter missing, any issues?

For the poster that can't find a catalytic converter...where are you looking? Anywhere at all?

Nope. Nowhere at all. I have absolutly no intention of replacing it unless there was sound enough argument on power loss or long term damage (unless someone wants to chip in the cost of a new cat) especially when everyone is stating it will still pass emisions. For anyone wanting to bash me for not being as 'clean' as them, I sure hope you are not running 35"s with 4.88s and using up all that enviromentally freindly 'fossil fuel'.

My post was not asking where to buy, but if not replacing it will do any long term harm and to get eveyone's opinion on performance improvement or deteriation.

ROKRWLR said:
Just from my personal experience.....

I dented the cat in my 2000 enought that it broke the matrix (or whatever you would call it) in the cat free in a bunch of pieces. It would push to the back under engine load blocking the exhaust at severely restricting power (made a nice hissing noise, too).

Mine had the broken catalyst too. It showed up as an overheating problem under heavy load, and a very hot floorboard.

Camo-5 said:
Nope. Nowhere at all. I have absolutly no intention of replacing it unless there was sound enough argument on power loss or long term damage (unless someone wants to chip in the cost of a new cat) especially when everyone is stating it will still pass emisions. For anyone wanting to bash me for not being as 'clean' as them, I sure hope you are not running 35"s with 4.88s and using up all that enviromentally freindly 'fossil fuel'.

I'm not. 4.10s and 31's, and I daily drive an Accord to help save fossil fuel.

What mods do you have planned for that Jeep? If you can afford ANY of them, you can afford to put the cat on.

What mods do you have planned for that Jeep? If you can afford ANY of them, you can afford to put the cat on.

We'll see...It's not tops on my list, but if I need to pull the whole system down and I can find one cheap enough, I may replace it.

Just be warned, if it causes me to lose performance, I'm going to hold you personlly responsible!!!:firedevil

I've run with out a cat on my old '94 and now with my 98. On the late model ones, there is an o2 sensor downstream of the cat. If you remove the cat, it will throw a CE light. I added an o2 sensor simulator that plugs into the sensor location on the exhaust pipe and it cancelled the CE light.

I prefer running without a cat, but I don't think it makes a huge difference one way ot another. FWIW, I routinely get 17 mpg out of my 6" lifted XJ on 35's...so it can't be hurting the mileage too much.

-----Matt-----

IslanderOffRoad said:
Care to back this up with some proof?

You may have passed the test, but your exhaust stinks and you're probably still at the upper limits of what is acceptable.

This is the paperwork from the last time my vehicle was required to go through the actual emissions test. Now its just a visual inspection. I pulled this out of another thread when somebody like you said my motor is at the upper limits and stinks :laugh:

As for emissions requirements and actual test results I went and dug out my past inspection papers.

2003 Exhaust emission test results:
Gas Reading Standard
HC (ppm) 86 220
CO (%) 0.07 1.2
CO2 (%) 15.2
Engine RPM at reading: 723
Factory motor with 180k on it and stock exhaust.

2004 Exhaust emission test results:
Gas Reading Standard
HC (ppm) 75 220
CO (%) 0.12 1.2
CO2 (%) 15.8
Engine RPM at reading: 727
4.6L stroker with all the workings, gutted cat, and high flow exhaust.

2005 Exhaust emission test results:
Gas Reading Standard
HC (ppm) 104 220
CO (%) 0.57 1.2
CO2 (%) 13.8
Engine RPM at reading: 731
4.6L stroker with all the workings , gutted cat, and high flow exhaust.

I fail to see where the cat helps out. So theres the numbers that PROVE that motor can pass with out a working cat. (At least in North Carolina and with my Jeep Cherokee)

AARON

Back