• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Concealed carry LEO notification?

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a CCW for a few years. It's never come up, but I always figured in the event of a traffic stop, I'd just hand my CCW to the officer with the license, registration, and insurance card, and let the conversation go from there.

There's a confused incident out of Ohio now, where an officer went off on a CCW holder about failure to inform. Haven't research the incident yet, but it appears to be some kind of weird situation where the officers questioned the rear seat passenger of a stopped car, and searched the back seat of the car before securing (WTH?)or even addressing the driver, other then telling him to be quiet. Seems like a pretty non-standard stop

The only thing I could see the driver doing different would have been to hand his driver's license and CCW to the officer immediately when the officer asked for his license, and ignore further commands until the officer had taken the docs.

Here's a cruiser cam video of the incident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc&feature=player_embedded#at=547

Not really interested in peanut-gallery type comments(Officer was out of line, WE Know already,..), But any active/retired LOEs would like to chime in: How would you recommend an armed CCW holder inform an officer of the presence of a weapon, and what do you think the driver in this situation should have done differently?

I have been pulled over a couple times and I immediately inform the LEO as I hand him my cpl/license and insurance, both times they just asked where it was at and that's it. I am in MI so things may be different but I would just tell them your packing right away. Crazy video though.

You DO NOT have to inform the officer in Indiana, in Ohio you do though, Now personally I would like the officer to know if its on my person. I don't want to be shot. Unless the officer asks, I'm not saying anything if its not on me.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

This is a very handy site:
http://handgunlaw.us/

Here's a link to the discussion on Indiana gun owners:
http://ingunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2031559#post2031559

I'm interested in hearing what Ohio drivers have to say who have been stopped while carrying and hear their experiences.

Last edited:
That "cop" needs to be reassigned to prison. Not as a guard, as an inmate.

If I'm armed, I'll hand over my CHL with my DL (a non-issue in CA, granted, but I have non-resident CCW in several states.)

If anyone in the vehicle is armed, they've probably already handed me at least a copy of their CHL - so I can hand it over as well.

I will also say "There is/are (a) legal firearm(s) in this vehicle" clearly as I'm handing over the paperwork.

If no-one is armed, nothing special is done.

I know you don't always have to notify (depends on state,) but why take chances? "If you must err, err on the side of caution." If I must notify, I notify. If I'm not sure, I notify. If I don't have to, I probably notify anyhow.

It's the same reason that, if I'm being pulled over on the freeway, I'll:
- Slow down
- Turn on my hazzard flashers
- Take the next offramp.

I've scored points for "officer safety" doing that, and I've sometimes just been warned off after explaining it. If I'm not warned off, the ticket is often less than it would have been otherwise (70/65, instead of 90/65, for instance. Or an administrative or equipment violation, instead of a moving violation. Easier and cheaper that way.)

Attitude and concern for officer safety can go a long way when dealing with the fuzz - they have a good deal of discretion in their duty, and they can use it to make things easier for your, or much more difficult.

I'll try to make things easier on myself whenever and wherever possible.

Not required in my state unless asked, so I don't announce it. I spent enough time on their side of the badge to assume everyone in the vehicle is carrying machineguns and RPGs, so I don't bother saying anything. Besides, when they run plates and licenses, concealed pistol license info pops up on their screen. I give only the required information.

So you don't even tell them when they begin illegally searching through your backseat?

That is BS. That "officer" should be put behind bars in a mental institution; not loosing sleep over killing a man because you interrupted him in a very sloppy stop, WOW.

I am 16 and have more common sense then that guy. In CO you are to tell at first verbal contact with the officer, exactly what that guy was doing, unbelievable.

I don't know, but I guess I'll find out soon enough as WI passed the Concealed Carry bill.
As it is sometimes I have legally transported weapons in the car (cased, ammo stored separate), and since the Police never ask, I have always wondered that in the case of a traffic stop or accident, I should self report (" Officer I have cased Firearms in the Jeep"), or would that simply cause more problems than it would prevent?

I was watching some thing on the Alaska Rangers who apparently do everything up there.
The Officer pulled over a car for an equipment violation, and since the pass seemed to be acting funny, asked if there were any guns in the vehicle. The Pass said there was (it was under his thigh). The Officer went to defcon 2 and read the guy the riot act. He indicated that they should have told him about the presence of the weapon immediately on 1st contact. In the end the Officer took the gun, and told them they could pick it up at the Station.

What would have happened differently if the Ranger would have been told that there was a weapon in the car?

-Ron

Clearly the arrested guy had been deceptive with the officer and is playing dumb about where he is, who he's with and why he's in the area.........

But the officer clearly is stressed out, takes things WAY too personal, has lost the ability to associate with people (has a solid them-and-us mentality) and I'm guessing there's probably numerous other videos of this officer doing similar conduct as he certainly wouldn't conduct himself like that knowing he was being recorded.... without feeling confident that his department tolerates it.

He even used the word "executed" when referring to feeling like he should have shot the guy.

He needs fired and it'd be hard to defend against criminal charges for his search/seizure and threats.

Shame.

I don't know, but I guess I'll find out soon enough as WI passed the Concealed Carry bill.
As it is sometimes I have legally transported weapons in the car (cased, ammo stored separate), and since the Police never ask, I have always wondered that in the case of a traffic stop or accident, I should self report (" Officer I have cased Firearms in the Jeep"), or would that simply cause more problems than it would prevent?

I was watching some thing on the Alaska Rangers who apparently do everything up there.
The Officer pulled over a car for an equipment violation, and since the pass seemed to be acting funny, asked if there were any guns in the vehicle. The Pass said there was (it was under his thigh). The Officer went to defcon 2 and read the guy the riot act. He indicated that they should have told him about the presence of the weapon immediately on 1st contact. In the end the Officer took the gun, and told them they could pick it up at the Station.

What would have happened differently if the Ranger would have been told that there was a weapon in the car?

-Ron

Actually, in Alaska there is no concealed carry permit needed, anyone can if they can legally own a firearm. However, the law up there states that you must notify an officer of a concealed weapon immediately upon contact. The guy who didn't notify the officer until he was asked was technically breaking the law. Not all states have that requirement however, so be sure to consult the laws surrounding concealed carry in the state you are carrying (because it may not be the state your permit was issued in due to reciprocity).

So you don't even tell them when they begin illegally searching through your backseat?

not after the officer yells at you to STFU and the next word you say will lead to your arrest.

I live in Ohio, I have a CHL. "Officer I have a CHL and a concealed weapon" are the first things out of your mouth, interrupt the officer if needed. That's what I was taught by my instructor, especially since this is not the first time a lawful CHL holder has been caught up in a "failure to inform" trap.

That said, the cops, if they use the computer to run your plates, know that the vehicle is registered to a CHL holder. It flashes a bright blue backround on the screen when it pulls up your DMV info.

Personally I blame Police training for incidents like this. LEO have been so thoroughly taught to take control of the situation that there is no reasonable conversation that takes place. Just orders.

Now, that said, the guy driving the car is suspect, but he wasn't doing anything illegal and that officer certainly lost all restraint, even before he found out about the gun. The threats after he was in the cruiser about "caving in his head" and "executing" him with his "glock 40" or whatever were inexcusable.

In Georgia we are not required to notify. There have been several incidents where drivers have and have had bad experiences.

There are many LEOs that I interact with either online or off, including a couple of state patrolmen and two sheriffs. They all preach the same thing-Don't offer anything that isn't required unless you are going to be removed from the car. They say that any good LEO assumes that eveyone they encounter is armed, but unless there is RAS that they are committing a crime or are about to then they don't care.

I won't lie if asked, but I will not be volunteering anything. The more you talk, the better chance of bad things happening, even if you are squeaky clean.

The LEO in the vid should be fired and in jail for whatever the charge is in that state for threatening someone with a deadly weapon.

Last edited:
You say nothing unless you have a lawyer present, you all might want to listen and watch this 4 part lecture about that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
For those of you who have state laws that require you to inform, well, that just kind of sucks. Pa has no such duty for LTCF [not CCW here].
Two things to ask yourself, what do you have to gain by telling him and what do you have to loose by not telling.

I've seen those vids - they are incredibly helpful. This is why I always tell my wife to never voluntarily give up information or allow to be searched.

When I am carrying, I dont say anything, but If I am not, I tell them I am not. It has gotten me out of 2 tickets so far.

Back