• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

compression test results:

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
so at 260XXX miles on the clock i decided to to test the compression... here are the results

FYI factory specs are 120-150 PSI

(From front to rear)
Cylinder:
1:165
2:165
3:165
4:167
5:166
6:165

one thing to note: the guage did not go completely back down to the peg, but sat somewhere around 3-4 psi.
so my question is: why is this so higher than factory(not that i am arguing with great compression)? cause even with the guage showing up to 15 psi high i am at the top end of factory specs.

Carbon build up in the chambers, number one cause of high compression readings.

Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, buy it at the dealership.

EDIT: number two cause faulty gauge--did you complete THREE compression strokes per cylinder?

Carbon build up in the chambers, number one cause of high compression readings.

Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, buy it at the dealership.

EDIT: number two cause faulty gauge--did you complete THREE compression strokes per cylinder?

i did a 4 chug for each cylinder... i am not really sure how to tell when it gets all the way around... i ran seafoam through not too long ago, and run on 89 octane all the time... its kinda hard to believe that there would be that much carbon build up in the chamber, but i guess it couldnt hurt to try to snag some MCCC... now i just have to locate a dealership

all the cylinders that close to each other I would blame the gauge too

i did some other random things and it did give other readings including only 2 "chugs" and it gave a lower reading, so i don't think its getting stuck or anything

Lots of wintertime cold starts and short trips--less than 20 minutes straight driving time?

Those are good numbers any way you cut it. I would run a can of BG44K through the fuel. It will clean the injectors as well as take out the carbon.

Lots of wintertime cold starts and short trips--less than 20 minutes straight driving time?

in michigan??? naaah no cold starts here....

Those are good numbers any way you cut it. I would run a can of BG44K through the fuel. It will clean the injectors as well as take out the carbon.

yeah i thought they were good numbers too, it just scares me sometimes when things go really right with my jeep. i will try to track down either BG44K or the MCCC, whichever is easier to find

Back