• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

My dodges transmission would actually be easier to do than my XJ there is far less crap in the way that needs removed since it's stock . They only charge $200 at the shop for the pull and install part of the job the rebuilt trans is anywhere from $1600-2400 .when I get to that point I will do a bit more with a better converter than stock.

Same here, if/when mine goes it’ll have all the upgrades. For now I just have a shift enhancer in it to boost line pressure, a deep sump aluminum pan, cooler line t-stat bypass, and a 6.0l trans cooler swap. That cooler is over twice the size of the stock 7.3 one and was almost a direct bolt in.

Justin’s is a manual though, other than a clutch it’s hard to imagine a major failure on it. Syncro issue?

Yea what happened? I've seen lots of high mileage synchro issues but nothing really break on those...

Good torque converter like an ats one for a diesel makes them drive a totally different truck. Probably one of the best upgrades you can do.

Yeah, the ZF6 is well regarded as one of the most robust, non-failure prone transmissions out there.

I left Fort Collins around 9:30 after getting an air check at Discount Tire. Pulling out from there I noticed a slight sound, but didn't think much of it.

By the time I had gotten to Johnsons Corner (about 30 minutes), the sound was easily audible over the 7.3L. It was a loud rattle, that sounded similar to the chain slapping the edge of a t-case (closest thing I can think of sound wise). So, I knew the only thing I could do was limp home.

Pulled the trans, the input shaft has far more play than it should. Turning it by hand, it's audible.

Turns out, this is a reman'd tranny from Ford, build date 06/07.

So, it looks like a rebuild or reman are my only options. Going to be about $2k.

While it's out, a new clutch might as well be done.

So, I'll have to figure out ~$3k. Which means it might not move for a few.

To say I'm ****ing beat and bummed is an understatement.

That's nuts. I can make some calls, see if there is a good used one laying around.

I'd still pull the t-case off and make sure its not the t-case making the noise.

That Tomken fuel tank skid I ordered on Feb 20 is now pushed out to Apr 3 for a ship date. So now at least a 6 week delay for something that was supposed to be in stock and ready to ship.

Last edited:

That Rokmen fuel tank skid I ordered on Feb 20 is now pushed out to Apr 3 for a ship date. So now at least a 6 week delay for something that was supposed to be in stock and ready to ship.

The thing I have found funny is the vendors that have the highest shipping cost have the most ridiculous shipping delays .

Sorry, yes. Tomken

I ordered them through 4 Wheel Parts, so free shipping.

Last edited:

Ended up cutting the middle of my Artec towers out behind the ori shell and notching about. 1/2 inch out behind it this gave an extra 3/4 room to clear the strut at full droop . Then I decided to cut the axle side strut mount off and move it ...too close...to the knuckle and clearance the rear inside corner or the knuckle a d high steer arm about a 1/4 inch so they would clear the ori foot at full lock steer . All this hard to reach crap is hard to cut out with an angle grinder but I now have a solid gap at full suspension cycle , which means there will plenty of room limited to 16 droop ...And now I get to do the passenger side over to match reworked driver side . Still have to build new front control arms and fit all the stuff back under the hood neatly ...The rear is going to be much easier no steering to clear and my frame is already frenched out from the coil buckets , so it will package easy . Then I can move in to building big boy drive shafts and work in the interior ...I have no "free time" it's either working on the Jeep or working the job that pays for parts and materials going into the Jeep.

Thanks. Not very good on Fords. The one I found said ZF5. Assuming 5 speed. 120,000 miles and 550.00 if anyone is looking. No affiliation, just stumbled across it on another site.

I'm thinking I'm going to slightly build the stock xj to be able to run the mild trails I don't want to bring the big xj out for . I'm thinking 31s-32s and the usual basic stuff I think 2 inch lift and 31s would be about the limit where on starts crossing the line into money eating toy rather than basic daily driver and mild trail rig .

I'm thinking I'm going to slightly build the stock xj to be able to run the mild trails I don't want to bring the big xj out for . I'm thinking 31s-32s and the usual basic stuff I think 2 inch lift and 31s would be about the limit where on starts crossing the line into money eating toy rather than basic daily driver and mild trail rig .

I have a few extra leaf packs if you choose to go the B.B. route.

Went into the clerk and recorders office yesterday between runs to salt lake to get plates for the Jeep I had added the Jeep to my esurance policy on my cell bit had no time to obtain a hard copy of a policy. I figured it would be easy to have it sent to the clerk and recorders office either by email/ pdf or a fax ...lol... well the two women that work in that office are kind of less than happy to answer questions they have notes stuck everywhere by tape , which most people including myself don't walk in and start looking for instructions taped to various places ...lol...we just ask the person we see sitting there being paid to perform that service duty the question . The attitude was hostile from The moment I asked if I could have the documents sent there and if so what method email or fax. I was told you can fax it and there's a phone right there in a snotty tone ...lol...well I called esurance and with the rep on the phone I simply asked the clerk what their fax number was and the response was in a super irritated tone " it's right there I front of you over there" well I did not see a number after looking so I reluctantly asked the clerk due to the attitude her reply was same as the first and in a irritated hostile tone , So I said " I just asked a question you don't need to reply in such a prick-ish tone"...lol she comes unglued gets up and is on the defensive and demands an apolgy for my "rudeness" I said I'm sorry if I misread you and that hostile tone is just how normally interact with others , and that really pissed her off and she continued to ask for an apology and I said I'm a customer coming into pay for county plates I don't need to be greeted with an irritated hostile tone from the clerk for a reasonable question asked in a polite fashion. And if anyone is owed apology it is you to I ...lol... she sits down and says maybe you would like to go to fairplay to get your plates . I then continue to look for the fax number and ask one more time what the number was ...lol...and she stands up and says " I need to remove myself from this " and storms out...lol...after she left I looked under the phone base and spotted a small number taped to the counter marked "fax"... she sits 3ft from this counter and could not point this out or just recite it ? The entire time the esurance agent is on the phone a d can hear her every word and laughed at her and said she has nerve asking for an apology she was hostile , argumentative, and sounded irritated just at being asked a basic question. ...lol...the other clerk did not realize the esurance agent was hearing this entire feud, and became irritated when I said she heard the same attitude I did . So shortly after a fax rolls In and keep 2 is handling my tags and clerk 1 comes back in the front door making noises and moving stuff around to make noise to illustrate her frustration with me It also appeared she was attempting to bait me into responding with these actions but I ignored her ...lol...shortly after a state patrol officer comes in and looks around talks to her looks at me and follows out behind me as I left with my plates...lol...nothing like a tax payer paid county clerk in a public service roll who us so eager to help the customer.. .LOL

I saw smokeyyank on W. Ken Caryl Ave near C470.....

And I saw Hypoid about 10 min later headed north on C470 just past Kipling....

:wave1:

Oh well howdy. Was leaving work going to the Denver Auto show with the old man.

I saw smokeyyank on W. Ken Caryl Ave near C470.....

And I saw Hypoid about 10 min later headed north on C470 just past Kipling....

:wave1:
:wave:

About the time I was starting to get drowsy.

Good day on Chinaman. Ground was wet but not muddy from recent rains (for the most part). Definitely made the trail a lot more challenging. Barely anyone up there and pretty nice weather. Felt a lot more rutted/washed out. Middle line up the waterfall had a good 2.5-3ft ledge to climb that denied me with wet tires. I crushed a valve stem that ended up with a flat. Was able to get back to semi ok status and fill it up. Might have to reevaluate my not keeping a spare tire though... I need to find shorter ones as 3 of 4 are damaged now.

Back