• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colby, KS

5 years ago in the 06 dodge it was all stock and no gauges with a two place goose. Ran that baby up the mountain as fast as I could wail on it!

Now that I have gauges I'll probably drive up it a bit slower...just depends on how she does.

Most folks with a 1/2 truck and a single place will be btw 30-40 mph...at least I was in 03 with my 5.4 f150.

We can meet up on the other side, I'm going to be looking for a truck stop after the mountains anyways, 38 gallons goes fast in that area.

mac 'wish I had an exhaust brake' gyvr

I'll be the 1/2 ton with a single place but with the EcoBoost instead of a 5.4, so we'll play catch up I'm sure.

I have a book with fuel stops in it for all over the country, makes planning ahead a bit easier on a big trip. Hopefully, I'll remember to bring it to my part time one day this week and look for something along 70 after the mountains that I can get my truck and 40 ft trailer into.

mac '5 years ago it was a regular gas station with the 30ft goose and it was not pretty' gyvr

5 years ago in the 06 dodge it was all stock and no gauges with a two place goose. Ran that baby up the mountain as fast as I could wail on it!

Now that I have gauges I'll probably drive up it a bit slower...just depends on how she does.

Most folks with a 1/2 truck and a single place will be btw 30-40 mph...at least I was in 03 with my 5.4 f150.

We can meet up on the other side, I'm going to be looking for a truck stop after the mountains anyways, 38 gallons goes fast in that area.

mac 'wish I had an exhaust brake' gyvr

Cruise on, tow/haul on, tap the brake pedal. Stays where you tapped it on the way down.

I don't remember where we stopped last time, but I bet the giant scrape on the crest of the road is still there.

Red 'Nate told me to get gone before the fuzz showed' heep

In the van, seems like the lower speed limits in the mountains make up for the climbing, don't notice any difference in the fuel economy.

I'll back er down a notch after we get out of Kansas. we plan on running 75-80 the whole way but if we get in with a group we can slow it down.

Aaron: Have you had your trailer behind the jeep on the highway at that speed for any period of time? Our M-416 does not like much over 65, If you can do it that would be great.....

Ram" Bought a Super Duty so We did not have to take three days each way"Rod

Aaron: Have you had your trailer behind the jeep on the highway at that speed for any period of time? Our M-416 does not like much over 65, If you can do it that would be great.....

Ram" Bought a Super Duty so We did not have to take three days each way"Rod

It was not bad at 70, I dunno about 80. Gear in it should also help it tow better.

Flexd'this might get bumpy'XJ

Tentatively looking at the map, and my truck stop directory book, here's my plan.

There's a big truck stop in Colby, KS, fill up there before leaving Colby.
Drive 225 miles
Stop and top off in Aurora, CO, right before Denver, big truck stop.
Drive 257 miles. Pull the mountains.
Stop in Grand Junction, CO to fill up, big truck stop, regroup with who is with us.
Drive 113 miles to Moab and start drinking...er unload.

mac 'I will be carrying an extra 5 gallons of diesel with me too' gyvr

Grand Junction is where I shaved the road. I don't remember a big truck stop.

I'll have extra diesel too. Even at 10 mpg I can go 290 miles. I'm hoping to do better than that. Grand Junction to Moab is a nice drive. Isn't that where Randy lives?

There's a couple stations that we can get into in Eagle, CO too. Ask me how I know ;)

My truckers book says there are two there that are open 24 hour.

Cameo, CO also has a truck stop and its not as many miles at Grand Junction if we want to stop there.

I almost got jammed up in Eagle, CO as well in 08, this is my plan to avoid that.

mac 'I hope' gyvr

I always hope for 8mpg.

I can usually get 280 to 300 miles out of a tank of fuel.

mac 'hopefully more' gyvr

6.0 gets better fuel mileage than a 6.4

mac 'and 4.10 gears' gyvr

I averaged 8.5 to KOH and back...just under 7 on the way out and just over 9 on the way home.

mac 'should be lighter tho' gyvr

They get good fuel mileage tho.

mac '6.4s don't...even with exhaust mods' gyvr

Tentatively looking at the map, and my truck stop directory book, here's my plan.

There's a big truck stop in Colby, KS, fill up there before leaving Colby.
Drive 225 miles
Stop and top off in Aurora, CO, right before Denver, big truck stop.
Drive 257 miles. Pull the mountains.
Stop in Grand Junction, CO to fill up, big truck stop, regroup with who is with us.
Drive 113 miles to Moab and start drinking...er unload.

mac 'I will be carrying an extra 5 gallons of diesel with me too' gyvr

I can do this....I just got to get to Colby Saturday night. I haven't made room reservations, do you think I should or just wait till I get there?

Back