• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton Off Road Prototype XJ Steering System

I'd be happy to as well :D

knowing clayton's stuff i'm sure they'll be using johnny joints, not heims

I'm betting TRE's. ruff stuff makes a good kit with offset TREs and DOM

Thought I'd throw that out there for those that can't wait forever on the Clayton kit. Plus ruff stuff is also a naxja vender like Clayton.

from the photo looks like some sort of ball-in-socket joint/TRE. The look wide enough to by johnny joints though...

i guess we'll have to wait and see

from the photo looks like some sort of ball-in-socket joint/TRE. The look wide enough to by johnny joints though...

i guess we'll have to wait and see

No.

Look closer, they are 1 ton TREs

Using Johnny joints in steering is a bad ****ing idea.

They came on more than just 1 ton trucks...not sure why everyone calls them 1 ton TREs.

I'm also not sure why they aren't using the high misalignment TRE at the knuckle of the draglink.

I call them 1 ton Tres because that's what people know.

I could say they are 7/8" shank 3/4" taper Tie rod ends commonly found on 1 ton trucks, but I'm lazy. ;)

Clayton's is known for Square arms. I vote for square steering!
This ^^ Ha.
Sorry guys, we are in the middle of a move and it is taking a little longer. The first setup is on our XJ and we ran it down at Jeep Beach. Everything worked great and we just need to get a few final things setup before it will go into production. Once we are finally done moving Clayton will do the put the final touches on the package and get it ready to go.

This will be available as a complete package or in separate pieces for those who have already started to piece a system together themselves.

Thanks,

Alex
Marketing Director
Clayton Off Road

Brilliant! I am also thinking maybe,possibly, having the an option for the knuckles to have straight drilled holes.. to use inserts or heims?

Any chance i could buy just the drag link from this kit now or soon?

Clayton Off Road Prototype XJ Steering System

We have been working on a new steering system for the XJ guys that would use the WJ knuckles and have all the parts in one package together.

399801_564781230209477_1124709244_n.jpg

Here is a quick overview, WJ knuckles, custom bent tie rod and drag link, new adjustable trackbar mount, new swaybar links all providing angles better then stock and a steering feel to match.

Alex
Marketing Director
Clayton Off Road

this sure looks good on your jeep!!!:yelclap:

i wish i could order it for mine!!!:gonnablow

We added some new pics and info on FB, here is the update:

We have been working on a WJ knuckle conversion kit for the LJ, TJ, XJ, and ZJ model Jeeps. The WJ knuckles are drilled out to 3/4" diameter and we made up a tapered bushing that allows the tie rods from a WJ to be flipped and used on the tie rod assembly. We have used a right hand drive tie rod end on the drag link so it can be flipped also using a tapered bushing. We are using 7075-T651 aluminum for both the tie rod and drag link. This system will use all stock WJ tie rods.

11186_579953192045845_1163053463_n.jpg

1175042_579953245379173_569507402_n.jpg

1176337_579953298712501_439247866_n.jpg

11186_579953192045845_1163053463_n.jpg

561932_579953265379171_1864934068_n.jpg

Alex
Marketing Director
Clayton Off Road

Hopefully wherever you're sourcing your RHD drag link ends is different then where my friend and I were a few years back.

They would bend almost every trip out.

Will the WJ knuckles also be modified to bolt-in XJ/TJ unit bearings? As that is typically something that needs to be done with this type of "kit"
Also, possible steering links that can be used with "1-ton" TRE's instead of the WJ stuff?

Hopefully wherever you're sourcing your RHD drag link ends is different then where my friend and I were a few years back.

They would bend almost every trip out.

X2

Not just that but the WJ drag link ends have poor misalignment. Much better off with the Chevy 1ton drag link stuff, I could max out the WJ end at the pitman arm too easy.

Back