• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cisco router procedure

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
I need to upgrade the image on a 2811, have the new software from cisco with the security image. Backed up the old image to a USB key, no problem, deleted the old image from the flash and copied the new image over from another usb key, the software came with like 15 images on a cd. It won't boot the new image for some reason. Can't figure out what to do next. If I copy the old image back it boots fine, do I need to tell rmon the new image name or what, cisco is very unclear on this. The only thing I have not tried is renaming the new image to the old image name.

Hummmmmm

What happens when you boot up...Does it go directly to ROM Monitor.
What is your command-reg say? (oh crap, cannot think of name, you know the 4/5 digit hex number "0F10F")

It could be a bad images...

If you rename image I think that will be very confusing, may cause other problems on the network.

I am interested to see what is wrong, if you figure it out post up.

Good Luck

Last edited:
moparmatt said:
Hummmmmm

What happens when you boot up...Does it go directly to ROM Monitor.
What is your command-reg say? (oh crap, cannot think of name, you know the 4/5 digit hex number "0F10F")

It could be a bad images...

If you rename image I think that will be very confusing, may cause other problems on the network.

I am interested to see what is wrong, if you figure it out post up.

Good Luck

I'm working on it, I need to tell a config file what image to boot, I have a 2611 here at the house to play with, what a PIA cisco can be, you figure if you are buying a new image for a grand they could at least include instructions on the upgrade steps. Normally I get the correct one when I buy it, configure it, lock it down, and thats the last time it pretty much gets touched for months or years. I do about 20 or so a year, have em under contract so if one goes south they have one out to me next day and all I do it boot and load the config file, done. Grrrrr, I'll get it. This is one that has to be done right on the first shot though so I need to dry run it a few times, was going to pick up a bigger flash simm and another flash dimm so I could load the bigger image on the 2611 but holy crap those sticks are expensive.

Last edited:
That is cool, I want to get a 2600 to play with.

Have you ever played with Packet Tracer?

You can set up Cisco stuff and link it together. It if fun to play with, well if you are a learning student like me it is. I suppose if you dealt with it everyday it would be annoying. With packet tracer you can to do anything the real equipment can do. But I found packet tracer hates all subnet address except a class C or /24 if you must.

Back