• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing to flat top knuckles...??

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
so if I have a set of flat top knuckles and I have a set of hy steer arms ..
eb7b_1.JPG

now Im runnin ford D44 spindles

figure20.jpg
( 5 lug)

and I have to get a set of 6 lug spindles to match the flat tops.
f4c6_1.JPG
.correct ..

now since I change my knuckle can I jut drill out these ( 5 lug)caliper brackets to match the 6 lug pattern??
117_1772.jpg

117_1772.JPG

Last edited:
as far as i know, you'll need to go one of two ways:

use the 6 bolt knuckles, but 6 bolt spindles, caliper brackets, and Chevy/FSJ calipers

or

buy the dedenbear Ford flat tops at 229.00 a piece...

If those are Ford caliper mounts, they're too thick to work with the Chevy/Jeep flat top knuckles and brakes. You'll need the matching Chevy/Jeep caliper mounts; they are a combination caliper mount and dust shield.

As already stated, you'll need the chevy caliper brackets and to run chevy brakes!

Also, those look like big bearing sprindals, if they are, they wont work with the Ford hubs without being machined down to small bearing size (Ford size).

I just went through all of this, its not too hard, just alot of stuff to peice together!

Make sure you read all of this: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

XJ_ranger said:

use the 6 bolt knuckles, but 6 bolt spindles, caliper brackets, and Chevy/FSJ calipers

or

buy the dedenbear Ford flat tops at 229.00 a piece...[/QUOTE

hmm well I think i will just find some chevy caliper mounts..
I read I can just cut off the dust shield

these pics arent my actuall stuff.I have a buddy with two knuckles already has the studs and been pinned anc cleaned, and the right spindles with (1) high steer arm for $150

:party:

OR just buy all Dodge stuff(from knuckle out). All 1/2ton Dodge 4x4s from 1980 thru to 1993 had flat top knuckles and 5 bolt patterns. Very easy to find all the parts in one place. Most likely any parts wrecker will have all you will need.

The 3/4tons are the same but use an 8 bolt wheel pattern which is what I'm using on my rig.

Not sure why everyone keeps scratching in the dirt looking for the Chevy and Ford stuff to mix and match or shelling out big bucks for custom made ones......

XJ_ranger said:

or

buy the dedenbear Ford flat tops at 229.00 a piece...

ok so now I have chevy flattops chevy 6 bolt spindles

so now i Need to source chevy caliper brackets..and calipers..right??

does anyone know where to get a nice bracket ??..

I really hate to put junkyard stuff on this brand new brake setup..

cLAYH said:
OR just buy all Dodge stuff(from knuckle out). All 1/2ton Dodge 4x4s from 1980 thru to 1993 had flat top knuckles and 5 bolt patterns. Very easy to find all the parts in one place. Most likely any parts wrecker will have all you will need.

The 3/4tons are the same but use an 8 bolt wheel pattern which is what I'm using on my rig.

Not sure why everyone keeps scratching in the dirt looking for the Chevy and Ford stuff to mix and match or shelling out big bucks for custom made ones......

Not alot of info online about dodge stuff, knuckles out... Do you have locking hubs on yours? Did they come drilled and tapped, or did you have to machine them down?

Yes I have locking hubs, I'm actually using a set from a Ford right now, they are pretty much all interchangable.

Yes I had to have it machined down and drilled/tapped(driver's side was done at factory, just needed to do the passenger side). I have access to a milling machine at work so I did it myself. Any good machine shop should be able to do it though.

Back