• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change in Georgia tag law for 2011

iBarsky

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I would post this for the Georgia folk just in case they hadn't heard:
Starting January 1, 2011, if you buy a vehicle from a private party then you no longer have thirty days to tag it. You now have seven days. The change does not apply if you buy from a dealer.

From what I understand it will probably be a $10 fee if you do not tag it within the seven days.

Thats gay as hell....
Guess Im screwed then... lol I bought mine 3 months ago and still havent tagged it... lol
but then again, there's no point taggin it unless its finished and streetable.
Thanks for the info~Paul

I thought I would post this for the Georgia folk just in case they hadn't heard:
Starting January 1, 2011, if you buy a vehicle from a private party then you no longer have thirty days to tag it. You now have seven days. The change does not apply if you buy from a dealer.

From what I understand it will probably be a $10 fee if you do not tag it within the seven days.

I'm not sure I'm following the reasoning behind this-- I can see requiring it to be titled within a specific period of time to ensure the state gets their taxes, but why would they require you to tag it? I've had upwards of twenty vehicles that were never tagged (buy, restore, and sell) but they were titled and taxed accordingly.

There is no requirement to tag something that you have no intention to operate on the highway, at least none that I am aware of.
My post refers to the requirement for tagging a new vehicle that you will be driving on the road.
I have been told that the LEO unions (or whatever the group is called) wanted a change from all of the handwritten "TAG APPLIED FOR" signs that people run. Somehow that evolved into limiting the amount of time to apply for a tag to seven days. Now the only "TAG APPLIED FOR" sign one can legally display will be available from the county tag office or a dealership that you purchase the vehicle from.

Apparently there are some parts of the law change that the state hasn't even worked out yet, so prepare for the standard clusterfrack.

The home made tag applied for signs are illegal anyways lol... they have to come from the DMV... I know this cause I got the ticket... although it was dropped when I showed proof that I did everything legally but get the stupid temp tag...

Well, Georgia actually doesn't have a DMV.
It's actually fine not to have anykind of temporary tag on your vehicle during your thirty day (or seven day, now) limit. Just keep a copy of your bill of sale or other paperwork indicating that you have purchased the vehicle in the vehicle.
And some tax offices have been writing the temporary tags by hand, something that will no longer be allowed.

I also heard today that initially there may be no fine if you surpass the seven day limit. It seems to me like Atlanta rushed a law change through without fully planning it out and considering all of the consequences. Imagine that.

Last edited:
Back