• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Radio

I tapped into my cigar lighter power. I used a butt connector and ran both wires in and out each side. WIth the additional CB power from one side....

As for my ground, behind the drivers side kick panel (the panel that covers the Hood realease handle) is one of the dash ground screws, I attached my ground there.....

Here is where it's mounted...

3024245_38_full.jpg

x2 on the cig lighter for power. eventually i plan on adding a power supply to the inside of the xj run off a relay hooked up to the cig lighter (to come on with key on) for the cb and some other items, but that is a little down the road. my cb is mounted on the pass side of the center consol

Run both power and ground wires straight to your battery is the best method.

cig lighter has power when ever the key is on ie key to accessory or ignition on. running the power to the batt directly will produce a cleanner power to the radio in theroy. but it also has the increased chance of draining the batt when the radio is left on. thats why i initially ran the power from the cig lighter (on when key is in the on possition) and in the future i plan on having the best of both worlds- a clean source of power from the batt and on when key on- using a relay keyed off the cig lighter.

so do i just unplug the cig lighter, figure out which ones ground and which ones power, then figure the same on my cb's wires, and use butt connectors?

The center wire for the cigar lighter is B+, the outside spade terminal is ground.

If you use the cigar lighter power, be sure BOTH B+ wires are in the butt connector at each end. If not, than it will only work in either Run or Acc, not both.

Also, don't forget to run the CB B+ wire out one of the ends of the cigar power connector.

A far better ground can be had by using the chassis ground behind the left side kick panel. Remove the lower door trim, and the two screws that hokd the kick panel in place. wiggle it out over the hood release handle and there is the ground stud. There is a bunch of other grounds attached to it.

I tried using the cigar lighter ground and ny radio didn't like it. Just run the wire to the chassis ground and use it.

B+ is the power wire.

I refer to the ground wire as either ground, earth or common....(sometimes just, the black wire that goes somewhere....)

Sorry, elctrician-ese there.....

To wire the radio, run a wire from it, to the lighter butt conectors. If you don't ever intend on using the cigar lighter, you could just leave it's wire out completely and slide the radio wire in the empty end of the connector.

My power wire is about 18" inches long and tucked up under the dash.

Running my radio off the lighter prevents me from leaving it on and killing my battery...

And yes, it only works in accesory or run.

poorboy_616 said:
B+ is the power wire.

I refer to the ground wire as either ground, earth or common....(sometimes just, the black wire that goes somewhere....)

Sorry, elctrician-ese there.....

To wire the radio, run a wire from it, to the lighter butt conectors. If you don't ever intend on using the cigar lighter, you could just leave it's wire out completely and slide the radio wire in the empty end of the connector.

My power wire is about 18" inches long and tucked up under the dash.

Running my radio off the lighter prevents me from leaving it on and killing my battery...

And yes, it only works in accesory or run.
cool, that helps, I dont ever plan on using the lighter so I guess Ill come up with something cool to take its place :)

Testing the CB?

Ok...So I also have a 90 and im installing the CB. I ran the cables directly to the Battery. Since i bought the CB at the local SwapMeet, how can i test it to see if it works or if i got all my wires correctly?

Thanks!

its better to tap into a switched power souce in the fuse block than to use the cig lighter power, its a very low amp circuit and easy to overload. IIRC there were 3 unused ports in the fuse block that are switched on and off with the key on mine. get a circuit tester ot test light and tap each one with the key on till you find one that is only on when the key is on. then put a 1/4 spade terminal in the hot side and run it to a fuse, then your CB.

Back