• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cal4Wheel Sierra Trek

Anyone who thinks organized runs are for newbies has never attended a Sierra Trek. 600 plus Jeeps, Toyotas, the best of the best. Wild one off professionally built jeeps driven by guys with more experience than any of us. This doesn't even include the high level corporate guys like BFG, etc. Speaking of BFG, they select random wheelers to come over to their semi trailer and swap your tires for a set of wheels/tires they let you run the trail with and they just want your opinion. After they event they put your tires back on your rig, after balancing them for you. And don't think this is some kind of urban legend, it happened to a very good friend of mine! Plus vendors from all across the country bring their semi trailers with the latest and greatest products. Plus they feed you, there's a live band, bar and guess what? It all goes to a good cause, Cal4wheel. So no, it's not for newbs.

Stop the personal attacks guys. My name is in red now.

But seriously, you guys really need to get to one of these events. Maybe next year NAXJA SC works one of the winch hills? Try it just once, if we (now that I'm paid) don't like it then fine. I think you might be surprised.

Didn't even mention a name so not sure where this went all personal. I guarantee the higher percentage of rigs would be jks.. Didn't mean there wouldn't be some built ass rigs there.. if that was the case wh3 would be a no man's land hah. I would like to go to it I love fordyce. I'm sure it's one hell of a party. One day I'll go but this year I've already wheeled 9 trips this year and have probably that many more planned. Including fordyce .. I'm a cheap ass and would spend that money towards something to further my rigs capability on or off road. Hell was at Rubicon last weekend now rents paid I'm thinking slick rock for the fourth with the girl and my pup. :D

And that's what's great about diy type of people. I daily my rig. And wheel it relatively careless. Fixing it isn't an issue for me. It's the dinero

I did the CA4WDC for years. As a matter of fact I believe I was a member until a year ago or still am. I haven't checked lately! IMO it is an excellent organization that brings people together, especially beginners! They are there for the unexperienced, the uninformed, and very cordial and kind to the new comers! They are great advocates of open range and are always fighting for all Jeepers (off roaders as well) rights! With that said I have not been on a run since I participated in a run to Panamint City, when Surprise Canyon was still open! It is not that I do not like the club or people it is merely paying the cost to sit on a trail for lengths of time! The last real big group I ran was 3 years ago for Inland Empire 4 Wheelers Big Bear Festival before that it was Panamint. The IE4Wheelrs also have a great group of people and excellent festival (I won a 9.5 Warn) but it was a reminder I what the delays can be on the trail! It is not that I run fast but the opposite and it's others that do then break! If you want to meet new people to eventually hook up for future private groups it's great. If you want a Jeep or 4by4 car show it is also great and I'd do it again but when I retire and have more time to wheel sometime 1/2 a trail and take a cutoff!

600 rigs drving through Fordyce over the course of 3 days doesn't sound like fun to me. But to each his own. Like I said, have fun and don't worry about why nobody else from NAXJA is there.

Right back at you with the personal attacks. Not sure if you noticed or not, but NAXJA is a "do it yourself" kind of crowd. Be it repairs or events. Most of us won't pay $3000 for gears and locker installs, and then go to an organized event that costs even more money. Call it cheap, frugal, smart, or whatever you want to label it. But that is the core of NAXJA, empowering the membership to do it themselves and do it the right way the first time.

BTW- Sierra Trek is multiple days over multiple trails. Not 600 Jeeps on one trail at the same time, lol.

Frugal is another way of saying cheap. Let's face it, unless your XJ is a DD EVERYTHING you spend on it is descretionary.

All I'm saying is this, we all have choices, and what you do with your time and money is your busniess. BUT when you get on here and say you won't be going to Sierra Trek because it costs too much I say you're not being reasonable or logical for that matter.

BUT when you get on here and say you won't be going to Sierra Trek because it costs too much I say you're not being reasonable or logical for that matter.

I have heard good things about the run, but the biggest drawback I see is the cost is pretty high. Haven't checked what it is this year but in the past it was cost prohibitive for me considering I was running it often enough with friends.

Maybe you should spend more time reading, and less time typing.

I'm not going to Sierra Fest, it does cost too much for my budget. It is not reasonable or logical for me to spend that much money that way.

I agree with patrick. My poor credit card

Maybe you should spend more time reading, and less time typing.

What in the heck does your statement mean?

If you say that Sierra Trek is too crowded, that's legit. If you say Sierra Trek is not your thing because you run Frodyce all the time, that's legit. But if you say you arn't running it because of the cost, you are not being honest.

Statements like this prove my point - " I was broke as **** still run Rubicon I'd do any trail any weekend no matter what.. that's what credit cards are for". So you CAN afford it, it's simply not your thing. That's fine, your choice. But my point, and the point of this entire post is solid. You HAVE the money, you simply choose not to go for other reasons.

How long do you want to debate this?

If you say that Sierra Trek is too crowded, that's legit. If you say Sierra Trek is not your thing because you run Frodyce all the time, that's legit. But if you say you arn't running it because of the cost, you are not being honest.
You clearly understand what he said, but have little comprehension of it.
To put it in LAYMAN'S TERMS, since he runs the trail all the time that the cost of the event is not worth running it for the event, AND for the amount of people that are there at the time. How hard is that to understand?

Do you realize that the person, whom started this thread, is probably driving further than most others that are attending the event?

Regardless of what it is, I don't want to pay a lot of money to have to potentially deal with a bunch of asshats that I might not want to be around.
Disneyland costs less than this, and I don't want to go there either.

On that note.. Look what you started, JERK!
Haha.

Compare your statements to mine -

Yours - " runs the trail all the time that the cost of the event is not worth running it for the event"

Mine - "If you say Sierra Trek is not your thing because you run Frodyce all the time, that's legit"

Yours - "AND for the amount of people that are there at the time"

Mine - "If you say that Sierra Trek is too crowded, that's legit"

Gee they seem to say the same thing huh?

No he won't traveling the furthest, people from around the country travel to this event. Including manufactuers.

Name calling won't work with me. Sorry.

Statements like this prove my point - " I was broke as **** still run Rubicon I'd do any trail any weekend no matter what.. that's what credit cards are for". So you CAN afford it, it's simply not your thing. That's fine, your choice. But my point, and the point of this entire post is solid. You HAVE the money, you simply choose not to go for other reasons.

How long do you want to debate this?

dude, are you really this clueless?what does that statement mean, really? Since Johnny already explained it to you, maybe you should read his post too. You seem to skip over the obvious parts and go straight to the arguing part.stop acting like you are mister money bags, and looking down on the peasant folks who can't afford to go on Sierra trek.my point was with my very first post, and still is, that I have run it enough with friends and on my own that I have no interest in paying almost 200 dollars just to run a crowded trail.

let me say that again, so you might understand it this time. I am NOT going to run that trail, during that event, with that many people, even if the run was free. again, my point all along was that I had run the trail enough times that I didn't feel like I needed to attend this event.

here it is, one more time. Maybe you will actually read it this time. I would not go on that run, even if it was free.the added cost for the event, does not make it more interesting for me. Why, you ask? Because I have run it so many times in small groups with my friends from NAXJA.

it seems like you are the only one who wants to argue this, maybe you should start reading more and stop typing so much before you actually read, and comprehend, the statements you are quoting.

That's the horrible thing about online forums or Facebook. It's not like real conversations .. so whoever reads it can interpret it a different way than intended. This definitely got out of hand

Soo... Fordyce? August? 2 weekends after sf?

Ill be down for fordyce after SF! Maybe 2-3 weeks after.

I'd be down for fordyce around then.

I may be down for this. Im not yet sure if me and steph are going to do sf. We have a gig on the 15th that we would have to leave early for anyway. We may want to take our week off a bit later and run the rubicon then join yall on fordyce.

Definite maybe on a Fordyce trip. Never ran it before, how many days on the trail?

Definite maybe on a Fordyce trip. Never ran it before, how many days on the trail?

depends how built you are or how bad you break down up there. And it depends on where we drop in.

if we run it all the way through and run all the winch hills, it wouldnt be a bad idea to plan for a couple days depending on what rigs go and how built they are , but if we drop in at committee, camp there, wheel to WH1 , then WH3, maybe not so bad and could go up early friday .

trial gets hot during the day, night wheeling that thing is damn fun.

Back