• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage construction

That's what I like.....commitment!

Hey, f^ck those guys giving you crap back channel, do what you want. If they can't dish it out here so we can have a chance to rag on them too, then they should be ignored. :D :D

Jump This said:
Fat lotta' help you guys are!!

I'M NOT BUILDING A BUGGY THIS WEEK!!
thats next weeks project.
:D

Rick
there, i fixed it for you!!

Got more done on this this morning.....
100_3937.jpg

From the top.....
100_3935.jpg

I'll finish it up today.
Then onto bumpers and the like....

Rick

should have thought about removing more rocker panel... You call that a boat side?

Rawbrown said:
should have thought about removing more rocker panel... You call that a boat side?

Not realy a boat side, but its a lot narrower than it was with the rock sliders outside of the door line.
I still want to be able to use the doors so I couldn't go full boat side yet.

During the build up, there is time spent thinking about how to go about it if it was going to go full buggy. I'm hoping this one won't go buggy, I'd like to start from scratch.
Maybe an MJ based rig...

Rick

C'mon Rick, get creative.
raise the lower hinge a couple of inches. Raise the bottom of the door a couple of inches and incorporate the door into the boatsides. That would super cool.

I've gone permanantly doorless. I couldn't get em back on if I tried. And if I did manage to get em back on, they wouldn't shut. So to hell with that.

Jump This said:
Not realy a boat side, but its a lot narrower than it was with the rock sliders outside of the door line.
I still want to be able to use the doors so I couldn't go full boat side yet.

During the build up, there is time spent thinking about how to go about it if it was going to go full buggy. I'm hoping this one won't go buggy, I'd like to start from scratch.
Maybe an MJ based rig...

Rick

For leaving the rockers and doors on, it looks pretty good. You might end up wanting it to stick out a little further if you're wheeling with the doors on. Looks pretty strong and high clearance.

Goatman said:
For leaving the rockers and doors on, it looks pretty good. You might end up wanting it to stick out a little further if you're wheeling with the doors on. Looks pretty strong and high clearance.

I have been tossing around ideas regarding wheeling with doors....
possibly some built in rails on the doors themselfs...? Or maybe a bolt on nurf bar?
I am looking forward to building the tube doors. Nothing like I have ever seen before, more like a desert racing set-up. Think full tube 'frame' with nets and some sheet metal.
I hadto get out of the garage, I was covered in grinding dust and the like and it was starting to get warm out there. All I have left is the plates for the rear section, some tube for the seat belt tie ins and some 1" bracing.
THEN....I can get to the bumper.

Rick

This kinda' put a hurtin' on getting much done today.
100_3939.jpg

But I did mange to 'finish' the cage. These plates cover the entire top of the rear spring mounts. It is also large enough to mount the spare tire carrier to.
100_3940.jpg

I also started looking into options on finishing the rear quarters.
100_3943.jpg

I do have wire for sheet metal work though. Maybe I'll have some time this week to get the quarters handled.

Rick

just wandering what wire you use? i use my mostly welder for work, and most is heavy guage. never bought anything besides .030. and what do you recomend for sheet

Rick, did you just weld that plate on top of the sheet metal or did you expose the frame rail. Cuz that sheet metal is only spot welded to the frame rail. for mine, I had to remove the sheet metal and get to the clean flat frame rail. the sheet metal on top was all un-pretty. cut off wheel, body saw and an air chisel got it out. To bad its all gonna come back out again. I just don't feel like working with the frame rails.

Back